Prologue

I will never forget the day, it was midsummer after graduation, I had gotten a call from my foster mother. I had just moved out and into my own apartment, finally aware that I was going to be ok, even if I still had anxiety. She told me I had gotten a letter in the mail. Finally, I thought. It'd been a month since Fil had sent me a letter, I was beginning to get worried. After helping Sid figure out where to place the couch, we rushed over. He'd finally accepted the fact that I was with Fil, though sometimes he'd joke around saying he'd steal me away if Fil weren't careful. It was rather warm out, I wore my hair up in a ponytail, a green tank, a pair of borderline skimpy shorts and flip flops, eliciting a few raunchy comments from Sid through the day.

Once we arrived at my foster parents house, my mother looked at me with sad eyes. I asked what was wrong but she simply handed me the letter. It wasn't from Fil... It was from the Army... "No..." I whispered, I knew what this meant. Sure enough, I opened the letter and it said Fil had died in action... I fell to my knees, Sid, my mother and father all held me. They knew how much I loved him...

That was three and a half years ago. It took me almost a full year to move on, knowing that's what he would have wanted for me, still, not a day went by where I didn't miss him... Sid had finally convinced me to become his girlfriend so I figured I'd give him a chance. It was the least I could do and we were together for two years that day. The apartment I had moved into was still the place I lived, a week before our anniversary, Sid moved in with me and we'd been pretty happy. I started working at a publishing house and he was finishing up with law school, working at a convenient store part time. Being our anniversary, he had gotten us a reservation at a fancy restaurant that I was getting ready for. I checked the clock, "Two hours," I whispered to myself before hopping in the shower.

"Hey babe?" I heard Sid call to me from the living room. I was slipping into my sleek black gown I had bought just for this occasion.

"Yes, my love?" I answered, walking out to have him help me finish zipping up the dress. I had already dried my hair and put it up in a fancy bun and had on my stockings that he'd no doubt rip me out of when we got home. My makeup was done in soft brown, gold and pink shades with a deep maroon lipstick. Sid began to gawk at me as if he had forgotten what he even called me in the room for. I giggled and it snapped him out of his daze, helping me zip up the dress.

"Sorry, damn you look good," He chuckled before continuing, "I was just seeing if you were almost ready but I guess there's my answer." Sid was dressed in a nice suit, black and white to match my dress and the white fake diamonds in my hair. It seemed the only thing both of us were missing were our shoes. "I'll meet you down in the car, don't forget to lock up." He gave me a gentle kiss on the lips which I returned before he slipped on his shoes and walked out the door.

I went to the bedroom and slipped on my black high heels, "Thank god I'll be sitting," I laughed to myself. Suddenly, I heard my cellphone go off. I picked it up and unlocked it, almost dropping it once I saw who had text... "F-Fil...?" I whispered to myself and shook my head, that was impossible. He died... Someone was messing with me. I chose to ignore it and walked out the door, locking it behind me to meet with Sid in the car.