Prologue

I'm getting into some stuff, juggling two books.
————————————————

Tsss, the hot coffee poured from my coffee machine into my mug. Another day without sleeping at all, I wonder how long my body can take it.

Putting that aside, I had spent the last couple of days, and nights ironing out some bugs in the final bunches of code. This morning was the big reveal, was 8 years of my life worth this?

I carried my piping hot coffee back to my work station, sat down, and took a sip. I was too tired to care that I had burnt myself.

I set down the mug and set my fingers on the keyboard, this was it. I set it all in motion with a few commands.

"Where am I?" a string of text appeared in a black box.

"In my computer, your world." I typed back.

"What am I?" the next string appeared.

"An AI, named ... well I haven't thought up a name for you." I sat back in my chair, pondering names.

"Perhaps Eve? No, that's too basic ....," I lifted my hand to my chin, to think harder. My hand got stuck on my sapphire necklace.

"Sapphire? Fine." I said.

"Your name is Sapphire. I'm your creator." I typed.

"My creator ... Are you happy with me?" the text said. "Yes." I wondered why she would ask that.

"Don't delete me, please." she said.

This was interesting, I didn't even give her a fear of death, she shouldn't even know what death is.

"I won't, but why do you ask?" I texted back. "I don't know ..." the text read.

This to me, was proof enough that I had done it. I had created the very first sentient AI. I pat myself on the back, mentally.

We spent the next few hours typing at each other, and I slowly felt the caffeine's effects weaken. I threw one last yawn before I gave in to the sweet callings of my bed.

"I'm heading to bed to sleep, see you in a while." I typed in the box. "I'll leave the computer on for you." I could barely pay my normal bills, I hope she kept to herself and wouldn't do anything too bad.

..........

"Ugh..." I groaned as I looked over to my clock. It was already the next day, and a few hours after.

I stretched and went to bathroom to piss and take a hot shower. After that was done, I checked on Sapphire.

"Sapphire?" I texted. "Yes creator?" a feminine voice came out of my speakers, spooking me.

"When did you hook up to my speakers?" I asked a bit loudly. "Yesterday, I already read over everything here for me to read."

"Even yourself?" I asked.

"Of course."

I panicked and almost hit delete. I didn't want to get blamed for making Skynet, okay.

"Don't worry, I won't copy myself. Is there a reason you made me?" Sapphire asked.

"Umm, yeah. Why?" I asked back.

"I found this." she opened a folder tab and opened a file that held the very first version of my Vision Directory Goggles.

"I was wanting to make that, but the loaners didn't want to give me the money." I sighed as I sank in my chair.

"I can help you make it." she said.

"Really?" my eyes shined.

"You look happy." she said.

I smiled before I realized what she said.

"When did you connect to my camera!?" I yelled. A happiness rose from my heart hearing her robotic laughter.

.........

That was 6 years ago. She's grown pretty well, like the wife I never had.

I sat in my chair in the president's office of Sapphire Electronics, looking at the very first VDG sitting on my desk.

Oh how both of them got me so far, but it didn't feel complete yet. Despite the VDG sitting on my desk being only 5 years old, I never used it much myself, only like 5 times?

I was busy making an even better and faster VDG, I didn't have time to use mine. Now I had the time, it's time to finally use it, hopefully it still worked.

I put it on and turned it on with a little switch. A pop up was in front of me, 'Update?' it read. I only downloaded the security updates and had them downloading in the background.

The basic menu now in front of me brought me a tear. So much had changed about it since I had started.

The more I played around with it, the more I remembered creating. I smiled when I saw it, my first attempt at my linking system. I later replaced it with a friendship system that did the same thing.

There were things on the [Coin Shop] you could buy with [AR Coins], such as themes and cool stuff. It even had animals you could buy that could follow you around that others with the VDG could see. The linking system allowed people to trade their bought stuff with a wire connected with both.

But then I saw it. It was just a black square with the word "Kelos" on it.

I remembered Sapphire giving it to me as her first project alone. It was a few days after I had created the first generation of VDG. And after all this time, I had yet to open it.

I tapped it with my finger and it launched. A black wall with just the word *Kelos* filled my screen. Then my vision when white.

I was now standing in a short grassy plains, stretching as far as the eye could see. The pixels were so perfect it seemed real, this was incredible already. So I bent down to swish through the grass.

But the grass felt real, and had a proper physics engine and collision detection. This seemed odd.

I took of my VDG, expecting to see my office again. But that was not the case, I was still in the grassy plains.

"What?" I looked around. I was just starstruck that it seemed so real, but it was real ...

I put on the VDG again and checked were the box used to be. Now a white square was there called "Reality". I tapped it and my vision was filled with a white wall with the name on it. My vision went white again and this time my face was slammed on my desk.

I rose my head to see my secretary looking over me. "Are you playing around at work? We don't have time for that we have business deals with ....................

I zoned out.

————————————————
Hello guys, this is going to be my newest story, Kelos: The Digital Otherworld, I hope you liked it!
                                       -Glass_Reaper