Chapter 1: Zeros And Ones

"I'm sorry, but I have to return early." I smiled as I looked up at my secretary. "Oh fine, you haven't been taking breaks in a while. For a second I thought you were starting to like your job." she laughed. "I'm still not used to it, 3 years in." I got up and walked over to the window to look outside.

I saw the sunset and some golden brown leaves fall to the chilly ground. The great Fall taking it's own toll of the land, paving the way for Winter.

I sighed, "I better head home. See you tomorrow." I packed the old VDG in a suitcase I had. "Have a good afternoon." my secretary said as she waved me goodbye.

I made my way down the building and into the underground parking lot, and there it was. My glorious.

My sports car, a slick lowrider that could easily break the speed laws without even trying to, had a black, dark gray, and blue color pallet that blended great together. It had an interesting futuristic look and I enjoyed it.

I opened the door and got inside. The engine waking up the moment I placed my finger on the scanner. I drove my car out of the parking space and onto the road.

"Flare, take control of the wheel until we get home." I said to my sports car as I took out the old VDG from a briefcase I placed it in.

"As you command, Elias." the speakers said.

"Flare, activate the data reading program." I plugged the VDG into the car. A screen rotated to replace the stereo controls, like a turning bookshelf.

On this screen were ones and zeros, but so many I couldn't read them all, even if I could understand it. "Flare, detect programming language." I asked her.

"Checking Database .... Please wait .... *ding* no matches found." she replied. I sighed, it seemed to be in a language Sapphire made on her own. I couldn't break it down, not without her anyway.

I picked up the VDG and placed it on my head. "You mysterious thing..." I said as I looked at Kelos' icon. I sighed and took it off after a minute.

I placed the old VDG back into the briefcase, and returned everything to it's normal state. "Flare, can you hand back the wheel to me?" I put my hands on the wheel.

"Sure."

...........

Sapphire Electronics was a pretty much in the middle of no where, despite being a large company. The reason why however, was pretty much only for the view.

A skyline unblocked by too many skyscrapers, had the charm I always wanted to see. Every morning I watched the sun rise from my own office.

I've always liked watching the sun, I don't know why. It has an allure nothing else really has, outside my home that is.

Sure the city was growing rapidly around me, but it was going to take a few years before I have to relocate again. I already have my eye set on a small town in Ohio, and I had begun my plans to build there.

I thought about that as I walked up to my front door and opened it.

"I'm back." I called out into the house as I closed the door behind me.

"Welcome back master." Sapphire greeted me over the audio systems.

"You know you can just call me Elias."

"It's not as fun." I could hear the robotic chuckling. "I've got some work to do, could you prepare me a bath?" I said as I opened up my fridge.

"Sure thing, but can I come in too?"

"Sure, when you get yourself a body." I said smugly as I grabbed an apple and mönched on it (yis, the mispelling is ententional).

"Meanie." she called me, which only made me smile some more. "I guess I am." I laughed as I finished the apple and went to the bathroom.

After taking a short, hot shower, I laid on my bed with two VDGs in my hands. It's older, bulkier design seemed a bit odd right next to it's newest, sleekest counterpart. I sighed and put the new one away in it's display case, right next to the other generations.

"Just you and me." I said to the VDG that was in my hands. I put it on and turned it on. "Time to check something." I said as I remembered raising my head from my desk when I returned, even though I went while I was sitting.

I tapped Kelos' icon and went back to standing on the grassy plains. After I saw the grass again, I immediately returned. I found myself, collapsed on the floor, face first.

"Oww." I said as I rubbed my nose, making a mental note that the travel would knock me out in the real world.

"Time to take this seriously." I said as I laid down on my bed and opened the icon.

......

The tall grass stood over me as I awoke laying down. 'Seems like the same was true for this world' I thought to myself as I got up.

I looked over to the rising sun, to find the cardinal directions. I looked at the options before me and I chose to go north. 'Rising?' I noticed as I walked north for a bit.

Indeed, the sun was still rising, unlike over in Reality, where it was night. This seemed really odd to me, I was very used to the regular patterns.

'Are there settings?' I asked to myself.

"Settings?" I said aloud and a box appeared in front of me.

————————————————
                  Options
————————————————
                   Sound
————————————————
Sound: 100%     Ambiance: 100%
Sound Type: Realistic
————————————————
                   World
————————————————
Physics: Normal Graphics: Realistic
Lighting: Realistic Animations: Realistic
Day/Night Cycle: Reversed
Status: On Number System: Arabic +0
Language: English
Magic System: Fantasy Typical
God?: ??? (Unchangeable)
————————————————
                    People
————————————————
               Free Will: On
Needs: Normal   Wants: Normal
Humans: On   Races: Fantasy Typical
Demon Lord: Inactive
Language: English  Numbers: Arabic +0
Skills: On Magic Usage: On
Status Sight: Private*
Skill Use: Typical Magic Use: Typical
(*unless forced out, or agreed to sharing)
————————————————

These setting were weird, I could do anything. I chose not to mess with them, even though I could change the day.

Something else caught my eye, "Status?" I read aloud.

And poof, in front of me stood my status.

————————————————
                 Elias Kubovy
————————————————
Age: 21 (Edited) Level:1 Race:Human
Gender:M  Class:None  Rank:F
Job 1: None   Job 2: None
————————————————
                   STATS
————————————————
HP: 100/100      MP:100/100
STR:15   DEF:15   VIT:12   MAG:17
MENT:17    DEX:12    LUK: 30
————————————————
                    SKILLS
————————————————
[Space-Time Magic V] [Copycat] [Inventory]
————————————————
                  PASSIVE
————————————————
[Spirit UP] [EXP x2] [Absolute Order] [Interface]
————————————————
                   TITLES
————————————————
[God?] [Coder] [The True Ruler]
————————————————

It seemed I was younger than what I was in Reality, by quite a bit. Although that wasn't the most surprising.

I read the whole thing through and I was dumbfounded by my skills and titles.

What am I, a protagonist?