Chapter Twenty-Six

The room was dark and surrounded with an uncomfortable silence. It seemed as if everything were colorless, objects in the room being ghostly casted onto the wall from the bright glow of the moon high in the sky. Laying on my side and facing the sliding glass door that lead out to the balcony, I gazed upward at the flashing lights that rolled past in the sky. Finally, after nearly an hour of silence, I’d had enough. 

Luke and I hadn’t talked the entire time, and I knew he’d been up as well. I’d heard him shuffle and take a few drinks of the glass of water on the coaster beside him, but that was it. We both laid still, eerily still, as if waiting for something to happen.

"Why are we doing this?" I mumbled, so avoiding facing Luke, but by the way I heard the smooth sound of fabric against fabric, I knew Luke had turned in my direction to face me. When he didn’t respond, I went on. "We’re forcing this weird friendship to happen, like none of this ever happened. We’re trying to recreate normal, but instead, we’re creating disaster," I mumbled softly and lowly.

A large hand landed on my hip and I felt Luke give it a squeeze. “It’s just for tonight… I promise,” Luke said softly and I slowly turned, to look at him.

"Then you’ll let me go home and forget about what we had? Like… old schoolmates," I stated and Luke remained still. Only a sliver of the moonlight landed on his face and that was on his bright blue right eye. He nodded and I smiled a tiny bit. I had missed normal.

I scooted closer to him in the bed and gave him a tight hug, laying my head on his chest for a moment before pulling away. “Thank you,” I mumbled, but got no response, which made me remember that Luke wanted something completely different. He wished for me to stay, but I’m still not sure why. After all the drama I’d caused… I could have kept my mouth shut, and we’d never be in this mess. Then again, I’d be tearing myself apart piece by piece. 

But wasn’t I already?

I looked at Luke and gave him a weak smile before kissing his chin and laying back down, closing my eyes and falling asleep. Just one more day, my conscious reminded me. One more day and I was free, free of the drama, free of the worries, free of fear of screwing up.

[A/N] OKAY SO I KNOW ITS SHORT SOWWY!

COMMENT AND VOTE! :P ily

xxxxx