Chapter 22 { invitation }

DeVante Swing
October 25th,1994
Los Angelos,California

"Nyla can you make me someone to eat? I'm hungry." I say and she looks at me.

"You don't have fingers? You can cook it yourself. Or tell them lil hoes to cook for you. I hope they poison your ass." Nyla says while washing the dishes.

"I- Why would you say that?" I say in disbelief.

"I said it didn't I? I really don't fuck with you right now. You're just another living body." Nyla says while drying the dishes off with a cloth.

"Why are you being so hostile?" I ask her and she turns around to me.

"Can you spell hostile?" She asks me and I shrug my shoulders.

"Exactly." Nyla says walking to the couch.

"I miss you." I say sitting down next to her trying to hug her. She pushes me away and I give her a pout.

"You ain't shit you know that?" Nyla says looking me.

"I know, I'm DeVante Swing." I say popping my collar.

"Shut up." She says rolling her eyes. The doorbell started to ring.

"I'll get it." Nyla says standing up from the couch and walking to the front door.

She comes back with a large ass envelope in her hand.

"For you." She says handing it to me and I grab it from her fast and rip opening it with my fingernails.

"Dear Nyla-J & DeVante Swing, you're cordially invited to a Word Up! 90's Halloween Party October 31st 1994 at Pulse Lounge; Los Angelos,California. Dress to impress with the dopest costumes up to date. Remember to throw your hands up at the ride and slide. Hope to see you there! With great love and appreciation, Word Up! Community." The letter said and I chuckle at the corny wordplay.

"What is it about?" Nyla asks

"Some Halloween party Word Up! Magazine invited us to." I say throwing the paper on the couch.

"Don't throw it... lemme see". Nyla says grabbing for the paper and opening it up.

"Clever ass wordplay." She says smiling at the paper.

"Corny." I say while biting my fingernails.

"Whatever, are you trying to go?" Nyla asks me and I shrug my shoulders.

"Are you sure this is type of crowd you want to be around? Especially since the whole losing the baby, crashing incident." I say and she sighs.

"I can't live my life with regrets, I have to move on and grow even though it'll be hard. Look, I'm gonna go. Just to clear my mind." She says

"Are you sure?" I ask her

"I'm sure De. Stop worrying about me." She says and I smile at her.

"I love you Nyla." I tell her and she just stares at me.

"I don't know if you really do De." She says and the words confuse me.