XI

A LOSS AND A GAIN

CELESTE WAS POSITIVE that Betsy had never run so fast in her life, not even when looking for Belle and Maurice. She wasn't even completely sure where she was going, she couldn't think straight. All she knew was that her family was in danger and needed to get back to Villenevue as soon as possible.

Granted, she quickly realized that she should have at least paid attention to where she was guiding Betsy. Celeste couldn't tell if certain landmarks were the same as the ones she passed going to the castle or just another random bush or tree. She ignored her growing nausea and continued on, whatever could be going on with her could wait until she stopped the villagers from doing anything.

When she reached the edge of the forest and saw her mother's hut, Celeste almost let out a sigh of relief. It was short lived, however, because she heard a commotion in what was likely the town square. Guiding Betsy in that direction, she quickly understood what it was about. Everyone was surrounding a horse-drawn wagon, that could only be described as a small metal prison. Maurice was being held by two villagers while Gaston kept his bruising grip on Belle's arm.

"Make your choice, Belle," Gaston stated loudly, making sure the entire village heard him. "You can marry me and your father will be free and we can all forget this ever happened."

"Don't do it, Belle!" Maurice told his daughter before being shoved in the wagon. The head of the village asylum, Monsieur D'Arque closed the door and smiled at Gaston.

"What is wrong with you?!" Belle shouted, trying her best to get out of Gaston's grip. "Your sister could be dead and all you care about is whether or not I'll marry you?"

The villagers almost instantly fell silent, seeming to just come to that realization. Did most of them know Gaston was that terrible of a person? Deep down, probably. But was anyone going to listen to a girl who said that there was a beast living in a castle deep in the forest? Probably not.

Gaston let out a booming laugh, "Celeste is not my concern right now. But, if you marry me, I will personally go out and find her."

The scene in front of Celeste made her blood boil. She kicked Betsy into the middle of the crowd. "If you cared so much you would've come looking for me after I left!" She dismounted the horse and kept a tight grip on the mirror as she glared at her brother. "You're despicable, Gaston!"

Gaston was taken aback by his younger sister's appearance and tried to hide his shock with a smile as he let go of Belle. "Celeste!" He reached out for the brunette to give her a hug. "I knew you'd return! If anyone can survive the wilderness, it is you!"

"Don't touch me!" Celeste pushed him away and pointed to the wagon. "Let Maurice out! You should be the one going to the asylum!" She followed Belle to the wagon but stopped when Monsieur D'Arque stepped in front of the door. A shiver ran down her spine when he looked at her. There was something dark and cruel behind his eyes that was unsettling. If someone were to physically describe a monster, Celeste would think of him.

"Sorry, miss, we can't let him out." Monsieur D'Arque told the girls, a threatening tone to his voice.

"If anything, Belle needs to go as well." Gaston told Celeste, "they've both been making unbelievable claims!"

Celeste scoffed at the war hero. "So now that she refuses to marry you, Belle is insane?" She took a step closer to her brother. "You deserve to rot—"

"It's true, Celeste," Jean the potter spoke up, nervously looking at the girl. Never had he seen someone so furious, and he did not want to interfere with it. "Maurice has been raving about a beast in a castle and Belle had done the same once she returned."