00 | P A D F O O T

◈ ━━━━━━ ⸙ ━━━━━━ ◈

Dear diary,

   it's really happening! I'm here at Hogwarts! Tomorrow I have to write my father. I hope he's happy to hear that I have been sorted into Gryffindor. I know Daddy wished for me to follow family tradition and join Slytherin, but the Sorting Hat didn't see me in there. It said I am brave. I can't even think of being brave, I probably never had been in my life.

   I'm going to sleep now. I'm so excited! My first class tomorrow is Transfiguration. I'm a bit afraid of Professor McGonagall, she seems to be really harsh. I hope she won't take points from me. I'll tell you tomorrow about this.

   Love,

      Margo

• • •

Hello Margo,

seems like you found my old book. Don't be scarred about this answer, there's a simple explanation. This is a two-way-diary. Every word you write down in your book, will appear in mine. And of course everything I write down in mine, will appear in yours. I used it with my best friend when I went to Hogwarts myself. Congratulations for being sorted to Gryffindor, by the way. I'm sure your father will be proud.

Regards,    

Padfoot          

   FIVE YEARS IT took

   FIVE YEARS IT took. Sirius Black had waited five years, but on the other hand had never had high hopes that anything would happen.

   When they'd brought him to Azkaban five years ago, there was nothing left, and what was left they took from him. Except one little thing. One tiny little thing. When being asked what one thing he wanted to keep, he didn't think twice; he wasn't up for keeping his wand, as they at least wouldn't grant him. No, what he wanted too be with him in this tiny cell, while his soul was slowly being sucked by Dementors, was a small leather-bound book.

   They threw him questioning looks. All the pages were empty. Bartemius Crouch laughed about that useless thing, throwing Sirius a quill, telling him to “write a novel about his sad excuses of rats and tricks”. Sirius didn't get a trial. All he got was this book and a quill, and that was all he needed in there to keep his mind.

   Because this little diary was all that's left to him of his best friend. And so he waited. Five years he waited, until a sweet eleven year old girl finally opened the pages. For five years Sirius had opened the book every night to see if something had happened. And when finally some petite childlike letters appeared on the til then empty parchment, his heart did something it hasn't done for five awful long years; it started beating faster, jumping in hope, and his hand searched for the quill, hastily scribbling an answer.

    Can you imagine how surprised Margo Adelaide Fudge was when she opened her diary on the second night, finding words that didn't belong to her? A tiny gasp escaped her lips, and this tiny gasp was the only noise she ever dropped about the diary. She told nobody a single word about the mysterious Padfoot; not her father, not her best friend Audrey Peters, not her boyfriend Percy Weasley. But so did Padfoot on the other hand know everything about all those persons close to Margo. And of course everything about Margo herself.

   Years passed, and the bod Margo grew to Padfoot was stronger than any other relationship she ever had to a person. Even though dating Percy Weasley since her fifth year at Hogwarts, Margo never trusted the boy as much as she trusted her pen pal. Her heart skipped a beat, anytime she read his answer, and although she knew nothing about that mysterious writer, never did she feel closer to anyone in her life.

   You can't imagine the devastating feeling of loss, when suddenly Margo's last year at Hogwarts started and the answers from Padfoot ran dry.

· · ·

please consider to vote/comment
if you like the story.