Round 12 - The Part He Can't Touch

The sclera of Cillian’s eyes glowed copper and turquoise in the hazy light of Trana’s three moons. Nivalis raked a finger through his messy bangs, her mouth open in wonder at the swirling nanites in his eyes. At that moment, she had completely forgotten to worry about the rumors.

“Did it hurt?” she asked, shifting in the dewy grass to get a better look.

He shrugged and pressed his thumbs to her swollen ruby lips. “Not as much as this, I’d imagine,” he said. “When do I get to see it?”

“Ow,” she said, batting him away. “Not until I see what your eyes can do.”

An owl hooted, and Cillian lifted his eyes to the dark sky. “Not yet. I haven’t practiced enough. I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You’ve been practicing for months!” she whined. “I’ve only had mine for six hours. It’s not fair you get to see my new tattoos when I don’t even know what yours do.”

Cillian stuck his tongue out at her, revealing the blue-green image of Echo. His words hissed through the air, though Cillian did not move his mouth. “I can make you show me,” the words said hypnotically.

“If you’re planning on tickling me,” she said, “you can kiss any chance of seeing my tats goodbye.”

The tongue retreated, and he said in his own voice, “Kissing I can do.”

“You have the image of another woman’s breasts on your tongue. Why do you think I’d let you kiss me?”

“Ugh,” Cillian said, slumping onto his back. “Heru thought he’d be clever. I wanted a microphone, you know? But the tech is there whether it looks like Echo or a Shure.”

Nivalis curled up next to him. “Yes, and ventriloquism is such a great talent. How has that ever helped you on a mission?”

“I’ve only been off-world three times. Give a guy the chance to prove himself, will ya?”

 “I’d much rather tease you. No, I’m proud of you. The Director commended you for your quick-thinking on Gahlet.”

Quick-thinking? More like common sense. The intel said a settlement was beset with ten-foot dinosaur-like beasts. What they’d found were ten-footed dinosaur-like beasts, all of them well over one hundred feet long, with poisonous breath and claws. Lots and lots of claws.

Zilant had thrown herself from the ship before they’d landed, using the anti-grav tattooed into her feet to bring her toward the settlement. Only the dinosaur things could fly, too. All Cillian did was take half a second to look at the readings to see that everyone was already dead, called Zilant back, and got them all the heck out of there.

Nivalis pressed a kiss against his neck. “I love you, Cillian,” she whispered.

He spread a line of gentle kisses against her still-tender face in response, his fingers caressing the barcode at the base of her skull. “And I love you, Nivalis.”

I coughed. “You both know I’m still here, right?”

Nivalis stiffened in Cillian’s grasp. “Way to ruin the moment, Agawe. You of all people know how to make a discreet exit. You have silencing tech and camouflage.”

“You invited me up here, remember? Something about owls and night-blooming flowers. All I’ve seen are Cillian’s tongue-boobs and unnecessary PDA.”

“So don’t be the P in PDA. Go away.”

Nivalis. So sweet. So cold. I stood up to leave, but I felt the tickling I always got when Cillian Echoed in someone’s ear. I couldn’t hear it if he didn’t want me to, not for all the tech on three continents, but I knew he was doing it. Nivalis’ giggle only confirmed it.