1

It was a warm day in June when Jervis moved to Arlen, Georgia. He immediately noticed the temperature difference. In London, he never had to worry about the sun shining in his eyes or sweating too much, but in Alren, it was as hot as a river in hell.

Him and his father, Alfred, had just moved into a small, comfortable suburban house. It was really the only neighborhood in Alren that didn't look ghetto or red neck.

Jervis slipped on some shorts and one of Alfred's t-shirts, tying the loose end so the shirt wouldn't be too loose. He slipped on his brand new tennis shoes. "Papa, I'm going out!" Yelled the boy. "Be back by dinner," the older man rumbled from his recliner. He skipped out the front door for the first time since he's been there.

It was almost dark out. He rode his bicycle up to a small gas station on the side of the road a few miles away from his house. He walked inside. He only needed directions and a soda. He loved sweets!

The boy at the register, maybe a few years older than himself, looked shady. He was wearing a worn tank top and some torn, baggy jeans. His boots were old And covered with dust. He had earphones on, and they were probably stolen. He was listening to Mötley Crüe while reading a nude magazine. He looked up at Jervis for a split second before his eyes returned to the naked woman on the page.

"H-Hello?" Jervis murmured as he set his soda on the counter along with a few nickels. "What do ya want, kid?" He grunted as he snatched the coins up from the counter, putting them in the register. "Do you have directions to the supermarket?" Jervis asked hesitantly. The boy rolled his eyes.

"I'll tell ya, but for a price," he murmured. "Get me a bicycle wheel from Jerkin's scrap yard and I'll take you there in my car. Don't keep me waitin', pip squeak."

Jervis gulped. "M-May I have your name, sir?"

The boy smirked, his canines sharp as ever. "Jonathan Crane. Don't tell nobody that though, they all think imma Keeny. Now go get me that wheel."

Jervis nodded frantically and walk out of the store, getting on his bike. He placed his soda in the bicycle basket and peddled to the junk yard about 5 minutes from the gas station. There was a big "beware of dog" sign on the gate. He groaned and started to climb the gate. Once he was inside, he began looking for a wheel. When he found one, there was loud, fierce barking coming from his right.

Jervis yelped and ran towards the gate, climbing it fast. He placed the wheel in the basket and rode away as fast as he could.