Chapter Eleven

A dead Twoleg? Jaypaw stared in shock at his sister. Did she really see a dead Twoleg? His fur bushed with excitement. What had happened? He saw the look of terror in her eyes, and it made him want to see it even more. He knew Twolegs often traveled in small groups into their territory and set up small dens and stayed for a few nights during warm days, but they had never ended up dead.

"How is that possible?" Frostfall called, while Snowfern padded up silently and pressed herself against Willowpaw, whispering in her ear. The small she-cat nodded, and they headed towards the medicine cat's den. Acornstar nodded to them as they passed, then turned her attention to the crowd.

"Oakcloud, Boulderclaw, Russetdawn, Foxpouce, Eagleclaw, and I will go check it out," Acornstar called then looked back at the dawn patrol, nodding to Shadefur. "Show us where it is."

"Yes, Acornstar." The tom dipped his head and began to turn, but paused as Jaypaw ran up to his mentor.

"Can I please come? Please please please?" He begged, his eyes wide and ears flattened.

"No, Jaypaw, you stay here with your sister," Foxpounce answered immediately.

"Please! I promise I'll behave myself!" he pleaded again, not caring how desperate he looked in front of his Clan. He wanted to go and see it for himself!

Foxpounce looked over at Acornstar, and Jaypaw felt a ray of hope, but then his leader shook her head. "No, Jaypaw, Foxpounce was right. No apprentice will come with us." She turned her head to the gathered Clan. "Stonecoat will tell you all where the Twoleg is, and no apprentices shall be allowed in that area. No matter the reason. And unless I give permission, only senior warriors are allowed to go see it."

She didn't wait for her Clan to agree, and, after nodding to Shadefur, the patrol quickly disappeared from the camp, their paws drumming down the pathway. Jaypaw mewled in sadness, his tail drooping, and Pebblepeak padded up.

"Trust me, Jaypaw, you don't want to see it," he murmured. "It was awful."

"Okay," he murmured, but his heart still ached with the feeling of the adventure he missed.

"Why don't you go check on your sister? I'm sure she'll want to see you," the young gray tabby meowed, flicking the apprentice's flank with his tail.

"Okay," he said again. He turned with a lashing tail and stalked for the medicine cat's den, his paws stomping heavily on the grass. He was frustrated that Foxpounce had made him stay home. It was so unfair! He deserved to learn everything he can. He slipped silently into the medicine den with anger still making his pelt bristle, though it softened when he saw his sister.

She was crouched in a moss and feather nest near the small pool of water, and Ravenpaw was right beside her, licking her bushed fur with a soft, slow tongue. Jaypaw could see the horror in his excitable, bouncy sister's eyes, and for a moment he didn't want to see the dead Twoleg, then that thought disappeared and he longed to see it even more.

"Hey, Willowpaw," Jaypaw meowed softly, but the she-cat didn't look from her paws, icy-blue eyes wide with terror. Ravenpaw noticed him, though, and gave him a small nod before looking back at his sister.

"Come on Willowpaw, eat these," Ravenpaw murmured, pushing a leaf towards her face, and Jaypaw saw a few dark seeds on it.

"What are those?" He couldn't help but ask, moving forward and sitting on Willowpaw's open side. He crouched down and licked her ear, which she flicked in response, but she didn't make any other move.

"Poppy seeds," Ravenpaw explained. "They'll help Willowpaw calm down, and let her rest. Please?" He added to his sister, and, finally, she leaned down and stuck out her small rough pink tongue, licking up the seeds, then she fell still again. "Thank you." Ravenpaw licked her cheek then stood up. "I'll get you some water."