T-MINUS One Minute

“Nice shorts.” The rumble of the car fills our ears.

“Nice everything.” I smile, eyes on the road.

“See, now you ruined the joke.” She admonishes.

“How was it a joke about my shorts?”

“They've got leaves on them and they're olive.”

“Olive green is my favorite color. And they're naturalistic drawings of oak leaves.”

“That's the point. You never wear anything but olive.” She sighs and brushes a nonexistent crumb off my shoulder, then steps back. “You'll do, though.”

“Glad to be of service.” I retort. Her emerald eyes stare back at me in the light of the moon. “Does the car look okay too?” I ask.

“Wish it was blue, but I can pretend.”

“Sorry to disappoint.” The night is warm, so I open the windows.

“Thank God I have a hairband.” She pulls her hair back into a ponytail. THUD. The sound is jarring.

“What was that?” I ask her. It sounded like it came from just ahead and to the right. THUD.

“I don't know…” THUD.  “Is he back?” My blood filled with ice as I consider that the perennial menace could be heading our way.

“Let's turn around and go back.” I slow down the car and prepare for the u - turn. THUD. A boulder lands in the middle of the street, throwing up chunks of pavement like some kind of beast. Probably because it is. I slam on the brakes as the Super known as Mountain Man rips up chunks of pavement, throwing them at a gold streak in the sky.

“Go, go, go!” Moira screams, grabbing her door handle fiercely. I don't hesitate to obey, wheeling the car around and stepping on the gas of the V6 as hard as I can. Another heavy THUD rings out behind us, and it seems for a moment that Mountain Man is flying overhead, doing the backstroke in the sky. Then he drops. I brake as hard as I possibly can, but the stone man comes down hard, landing with his fist and a sneer on his face.

Glass shatters and seems to hang in the air as he caves in the hood. My neck swivels to the passenger seat, where her hair floats like a halo around her head, the hairband cut to pieces. Her neck is a pale white accented by the crystals flowing past - no - through it. The next moment is pure black.

The world is gold. The world is blurry. The world is flickering. The world is on fire. I feel myself being lifted. Moira. I'm losing focus… I have to stay awake… Stay…