Prologue

Journal Entry -10th June

I didn't think, when I was a little girl of eight, that I would be living this life. Doing what I'm doing, every night.

Crime, that is.

It has been seven years since I first joined the Crime Lords, back when I was only fourteen- Gods, it feels so long ago now. I'm an adult. And ... thirteen years, I think, since I killed Storm. I believe that I might have finally come to peace with her death. And it's about damn time, too: I turned twenty-one, exactly three weeks ago.

But of course, I didn't celebrate the way normal people would  ... Instead of a massive, raucous party with the baby photos and all, I slept through the night for the first time in a very long while. After I'd eaten a chocolate cupcake, of course: a girl has to indulge occasionally.

My students at the school of dance I teach at all sang happy birthday, which was funny: a bunch of twelve-year-old boys and girls meant to be practising ballroom dances like the tango and cha-cha, all breaking into loud, out of tune song. That, I suppose, was my party.

And being nice, I let them just free-dance the entire time, and even took my heels off. I may or may not have just mucked around with cartwheels for the rest of the hour.