Chapter 14: Show Me Heaven

"Just be yourself Jack, for goodness sake, the way you're going, you'd think we were going to dinner with the Queen of England!" Sarah Bolton, Troy's mother said sternly to her husband.

They were dressed in their best clothes, Troy in a shirt and holding two bouquets of roses.

"Well, Troy seems serious about this Gabriella girl, might as well make an impression." Mr Bolton exclaimed.

Mrs Bolton rolled her eyes and knocked on the door of the Montez's. She was holding a plate covered with another bowl. Under it was a Victorian Sponge cake which Troy couldn't wait to get his hands on. Mrs Montez opened the door and smiled, she was wearing a gentle red summer dress under a cooking apron, the one that Troy had wore that day, and she hugged each of the Bolton's as they stepped into the house.

"Welcome, 'Mrs Montez said cheerfully, "It's lovely to see you all."

"Mrs Montez, these are for you." Troy said handing her one of the bouquets of roses.

Mrs Montez looked thrilled, "Oh Troy, their beautiful. Thank you. I wish I had bought something for you all." She said looking truly touched.

"No, you've invited us to dinner, that's enough." Mr Bolton said smiling.

"Well come through to the dining room, dinner is almost ready." Mrs Montez said.

They followed Mrs Montez through; Mr Montez sat at his chair smoking his pipe as always, Gabriella was no-where to be seen.

"I was sure Troy mentioned another daughter Mrs Montez?" Mrs Bolton queried.

"Oh please, don't call me Mrs Montez, call me Gracia. And yes, we do have daughters, three. Kia, our eldest doesn't live too far from here. Maria, she's gone back to college and our little Gabriella, she's upstairs. She'll be down soon." Mrs Montez said and she winked and Troy softly.

The Bolton's sat down as Mrs Montez placed the final bowl of roast potatoes in the middle of the table. At that moment Gabriella walked downstairs and Troy gasped, she was beautiful. She worse a simple yellow summer dress, and her curls were held up by a soft golden barrette that twinkled in her hair. Troy stood and pecked her cheek whispering, "You look amazing."

She giggled and accepted the flowers he offered her, "Their lovely, thank you."

Then Troy took her hand and led her to her chair, he helped her sit down again and Mrs Montez nodded pleased.

"Such a gentlemen." She crooned.

Mrs Bolton looked surprised and laughed, "Well I can't even get him to clean the garden shed."

"Yeah well, Gabriella is important." Troy said sitting beside his girlfriend and he smiled as Gabriella blushed.

Mrs Montez and Mrs Bolton shared a gentle smile before Mrs Montez said, "Well looking at the food isn't going to fill us, everyone dig in!"

The dinner was delicious; Troy thought Mrs Montez cooked amazingly, even better than his mother. He had never enjoyed such a Sunday dinner and there was much talk and laughing around them.

"How is your poetry going Troy?" Mr Montez queried as he cut into a piece of beef.

"Exceedingly well sir, your daughter is a wonderful teacher." Troy said looking across at Gabriella.