Chapter 2

A/N: This chapter is a songfic using the song "Stand by You" by Rachel Platton (video above), which is what this story is named after. The song and lyrics start about halfway through the chapter. Probably goes without saying, but I italicized the lyrics.

From that moment forward, things in their interactions continue to change with each passing visit. On one such occasions a few months later, he came back almost as bad as before. (Name) helped him out of his armor, letting him rest on the couch. She stood at the counter, feeling as if she were forgetting something important. He turns his head so his mask met her gaze for a moment and she remembers the clothes she had bought him last week. She hadn't been sure if they'd fit; after all she could only guess his measurements. "Oh, um, Reaper?" He gives a grunt of acknowledgement. "I got you something. Hold on." She runs to her own room, and grabs the small stack of clothes; sweats and a hoodie. (Name) hurries back to present them to him. "I bought you some casual clothes, just in case you wanted to wear something more comfortable." The second the words are out of her mouth, she feels stupid. "You don't have to, I mean—" (Name)'s stuttering is cut off by a wheezing laugh. "(Nickname), if you want to get a closer look all you have to do is ask."

She feels her face turn bright red, the heat on her cheeks almost unbearable as the man in front of her has a fit of uncontrollable laughter. However, as she looks over his broad shoulders and arms, she has to admit she's a little curious. (Name) immediately derails that train of thought, reminding herself that he's just kidding. The teasing is a recent development in their relationship, and definitely one of her least favorites. Well, most of the time, anyways. "Just give me the clothes." She looks at him, a little surprised. "You heard me. Give me the clothes."

"Do you need me to help you to the bathroom?" He shakes his head. "Just go to your room like you usually do. I'll call you when I'm decent."

(Name) hands him the clothes and walks to her room, sitting in her bed to wait. After almost fifteen minutes, the muffled sound of "You can come back now" reaches her ears. She returns to the living room to find the Reaper slumped back on the couch in his new clothes, trademark mask still in place. "Don't just stand there. Sit down." Another new development in their relationship is that he likes to have her stay with him while he waits out the pain. He insists that the company and conversation helps him keep his mind off of it. (Name) sits down on the other side of the couch, careful to give him space.

They sit in silence for a while, neither willing to speak first. Finally, (Name) asks, "Do you want some tea?"

"Sure." She nods and gets up again, heading to the kitchen to start on the tea. She heats up the water, and gets out the tea bags while she waits for the water to boil. However, as (Name) goes to get out the mugs, a worrying sound reaches her ears, a groan of pain almost close to a snarl. She quickly whips her head around to see him convulsing on the couch, finally curling up into a fetal position. She turns off the stove and immediately hurries over to his side, kneeling next to the couch. "Are you alright?"

"Why do you always ask that?" His voice is angry, but it seems more like a cover than true rage as he turns away from her. "Just leave me alone." She almost listens to him, almost follows their normal routine. But this time (Name) doesn't want to back down. "What else am I supposed to do? You never tell me what's wrong with you! If you want my help, I'll need you to tell me what to do."

"I think you're forgetting how this works. You listen to me, and I don't kill you." She snorts. "I bet you can't even stand up right now, let alone make it to where you always leave your shotguns."

"I don't need my shotguns." The threat would be terrifying, but he doesn't put any weight behind it. It's the last straw for (Name), who is just sick of this strange, twisted relationship. "For goodness sake, just let me help you!"