Void In The Window

Void In the Window - Adam F Davidson - April 2016

1. He awoke felt trapped and inverted. Awake in not a dream but a state of being. The ground did not move but an engine sounded an alarm at the pulse of the machinery not like a common one. Awoken in a coma, feeling trapped inverted, dizzy and nauseous, delicate to the touch, irritated.

The world outside his door like any other day, proceeding to the kitchen to wake up and have breakfast. The house seemed normal like any other day. All outside the streets, birds, cars driving by like clockwork, as usual. He still could not help but feel this piercing irritated twitch like something was off, real off, where was all he knew, where were they all.

2. There is a window in the closet that did not exist before and with all his questioning anger at the unknown of this he tried to see what was beyond it. He glared for some time trying to view outside this window as it appeared to be a void, a nothing.

After hours of pacing in the hall, listening to the sounds outside, listening to the window in the closet and looking into it an frame appeared, a white clammy object. A lit up object in the void beyond the window, looking back at him.

In fright he ran to the door, up the hall and closed it tightly behind him and barricaded himself there. Days later emerging, hungry and tired, so very tired and without his pills for stress and to help him sleep, because he did not leave the room. In complete disbelief of what he saw, but somehow allured to the closet, to investigate what he saw.

He once again looked into the window in the closet, but only saw what seemed to be his back yard, that was on the other side of the house. No one has contacted him in days, no one has called or contacted him in days, the TV and the sounds outside were all normal, as usual.

3. Everything was almost to normal, to routine, but no contact with anyone so he tries and the phones are out, the yard is vacant, the lights go on but no one has been there.

He made tea, the kettle boiled over and poured to his feet burning them, then the scars vanished in seconds. The air outside became a distant yellow in the sky as the light began to bounce off the clouds lit by the sun. He decided to look again at the window in the closet. The being was there, he outstretched his hand placing it on the glass and the creature did the same and pulled him in.

4. There was no noise anymore, only the sound of wind in the trees beneath the yellow sky. The only life in this box was a tree and some plants, odd looking flowers and a garden, with three orbs dancing in the sky. They ascend to the ground and become three of the creatures from the void in the window.

They each try to communicate with the box, not even seeing our friend there. They pick at the plants and eat the flowers, scratching the ground as they gorge. Our friend does not know what to do or how to start with them except to try and approach. Lost in the corner from them can be the solution for only long enough, they may notice him first.

They sing.

A mind numbing pitch enters his ears, piercing. He stops in his tracks and freezes, not moving an inch. They wander off. Leaving him numb, def and paralyzed.

THE END