Chapter 6 - Dirty Truths

May, 1980

     When the birds are chirping and the sun shining, it's supposed to be good day.

     Nya walked into her house with her best friend Lauren both with their cheerleading skirts swinging from side to side as they switched their hips.  They had just come from practice.  Nya had been cheering for her school ever since she was a freshman in high school.  She and Lauren were now seniors and co-captains.

     "Hey, girls," Mrs. Nancy Avezzano spoke when they skipped into the living room.

     "Hey, mom."  Nya quickly turned away from Nancy as she realized her mother was smoking.

     "Come give me a kiss," Nancy demanded.

     "No. I can't stand that smell."

     "Can I get a smoke, Ms. Nancy?"  Lauren, 18 years old, asked nicely.

     Nancy pulled out a pack of Newports from her bra.  "Nya, I need you to go fetch Joseph for me," she said lighting up a cig for Lauren.

     Nya grunted.  "Why?"

     "Your auntie and cousin are coming over.  They want to see him."

     Nya rolled her eyes.  "Lauren, come on."

     Nya kept her distance from her friend as she smoked here cigarette walking across the street.  "You can't smoke that on their property."

     "Oh.  I didn't know I was allowed to go inside."

     "I'm not gonna make you wait out here."

     "Is Jackie here?" Lauren asked with lustful eyes.

     "I don't know.  He doesn't live here.  He lives with his wife."

     The Jackson's security let Nya through the gates with her friend, no questions asked, just a nod and hello. 

     When they stepped inside, there was no one in sight but they heard Joseph dictating from a near distance.

      The girls followed his voice and walked into the family room to see Joseph pacing back and forth in front of the boys.  Jackie, Tito, Marlon, Michael and Randy were all sitting on the couch listening to their father speak.

     Joseph was in manager mode like always.

     But all then men's attention went towards the two cheerleaders as they entered the room.  "Hey guys," Nya spoke.

     "Hey," they said in harmony.

     "Who's your friend?" Randy asked smirking towards Lauren.

     "Oh."  Nya nudged her friend.  "This is my best friend Laurie."

     Unnoticeably to the others, Michael scoffed and looked away.

     Lauren waved to them as she began to blush.  "Hey, how are you?"

     The boys said hello to her.

     "Well, what do you want?" Joseph asked Nya. 

     "Shangazi yangu."

     Joseph's eyebrow arched as he mentally decoded the message while everyone else's curved in confusion, except for Michael's.  "Perfect timing," Joseph said turning away from the boys.  "This meeting is adjourned."

     As Joseph walked out of the room, Janet came running in towards Nya.

     "Hey, Dunk," Nya said smiling at Janet's pout.  "What's wrong?"