Korpiklaani

Disclaimer: I do not own the band Korpiklaani, the albums Spirit of the Forest, Noita, Korven Kuningas, Manala, or the songs Korpiklaani and Midsummer Night. I am not associated with Napalm Records or Nuclear Blast Records, I just used the band as inspiration. This was actually a fairytale assignment I did for English class, so I hope you guys like it!

Korpiklaani

Once upon a time, in the land across the sea, there was a rich and prosperous kingdom. The kingdom was presided over by a wealthy king, and his family had ruled for seven generations. He was well-liked by all the people, but he kept a secret that no one outside of the palace knew.

Near the border of the kingdom, there was a swamp. There were tales of dangerous pitfalls, horrible demons, and hideous monsters that rampaged about in the swamp. The young boys of the kingdom liked to dare each other to go into the swamp, and one day a boy with more courage than any other ventured far into its depths. While there, he heard eerie chanting and he felt eyes watching him, and he became so afraid that he ran back out of the swamp. He told everyone what he had seen, and the king, fearful that others would enter the swamp and discover his secret, forbade any of his subjects from going into the swamp.

The king had three daughters and no sons, and he knew since his own health was failing, soon his eldest daughter Klaani would have to assume the throne. Klaani underwent rigorous training meant for young princes. She learned archery, sword fighting, and martial arts, as well as rhetoric, arithmetic, mathematics, and government. She was brought up like a warrior first and a lady second. She and her sisters had already learned manners, poise, and proper socialite behavior.

One day near the end of Klaani's training, the king fell ill and he called her to his bedside. "My dearest daughter," he told her, "there is something I must tell you. I should have told you years ago, but since the time draws near for you to rule, I can no longer protect you from this information. We are at war."

"What do you mean, Father?" Klaani asked.

"Seven generations ago, when our family assumed the throne, there was a riot. Some of the people did not agree with the establishment of our monarchy, and they rebelled against us. We tried to subdue them, but they retreated into the swamp and would attack us whenever we sent soldiers to pursue them. So finally, we agreed to a treaty with them. We would both leave each other alone.

"Recently, there have been reports along our southern border of missing livestock, destroyed property, and strange people lurking around."

"And you think it is the swamp people?" Klaani asked.

"Yes," the king replied.

"Have you seen them?" She asked.

"No, no one has seen them since they entered the swamp."

Klaani felt anger and disbelief rise within her. "Then how do you know they exist?" She exclaimed. "If no one has seen these swamp people in seven generations, they are probably dead. There is nothing in the swamp but wild animals."

The king was suddenly struck by a bout of coughing, and the doctors rushed in to aid him. Klaani slipped out of the room unnoticed, thinking about what her father had told her. The more she thought, the more she doubted. She decided that the only way to reconcile her thoughts was to visit the swamp herself and try to find the swamp people.

Without telling anyone where she was going, Klaani gathered a bag of food, went to the stables, and took a white horse. Under the cover of night, she rode to the edge of the kingdom. There, she was in awe of the size and sinister aura of the swamp. Klaani's horse refused to enter the swamp, so she tied it to a tree branch and entered on her own.