Chapter 7. Fun Fun Fun

Margo and I both agree to sleep inside of the car that night. Checking into a hotel would be too risky, with Margo being labeled as the 'psycho killer' and me as her 'trusty partner-in-crime'. Besides, if we need to make a quick get-away or something, sleeping inside of a car would prove more useful than being locked up in a hotel room.

Margo is laying down fast asleep in the back row of the mini-van's seats, using an arm rest as a sort of pillow. I'm laying down, too, but I'm in the middle row of the car.

The only downfall to sleeping in the mini-van is the fact that I can't get to sleep. Like, at all. Not even a little. And no, it's not because I'm scared I'll have nightmares of the murderous geese. It's because I'm too busy thinking.

I'm thinking about how terrified I am to be caught by the police and be sent away to jail. Like, how does one cope with the idea that their entire life could be taken away from them with one quick trip to the police station?

That's easy, I think. They don't.

I keep sitting up to look through the car's windows, checking if any cops are watching our every move. Of course, I don't see any police stalking us. It's just my paranoia kicking in again. Besides, my mini-van is parked next to a grocery store. I don't think the cops will be looking for Margo Roth Spiegelman at a random Fry's.

I lay back down and run my fingers through my hair. I don't like being a criminal, mostly because you know at one point, you will be caught. It doesn't take a psychic to know that. And there's no point in denying that you won't be caught, 'cause you will.

Jeez, I've been watching way too many cop shows.

My thoughts are interrupted by an ear-splitting scream. I jolt up from my position and look around in a panic.

"Margo! Margo?" I say, my heart doing a nervous drop.

I look over to the back seat to see Margo breathing heavily with a scared, wild look in her eyes. A sheen of sweat covers her forehead and neck.

"Oh my God, are you alright?" I crawl over to the back seat of the mini-van to her. She nods slighty in reply, but she still looks scared out of her wits. "Were you having...like, a nightmare or something?"

She nods slightly again.

"Because...you know nightmares aren't real, right?"

Margo gives me a look that says 'Do I look like a freaking idiot to you?'.

"Was it a nightmare of that night?"

"By 'that night' meaning the night I killed a human-being, then yeah," she says quietly. "Granted he wasn't a very nice human-being, but he was still human, nevertheless."

"Can you...uh, I don't know, do you wanna talk about it?" I ask, trying to be supportive, but it's hard because I'm scared I'll say something wrong and she'll erase me out of her life.

She shakes her head. "Maybe later. Not now."

By this time I'm sitting in the backseat with her. "Well, you know I'm always here if you wanna talk."

"Yeah. Thank you."

"..."

"Welp, I'm probably never going to be able to sleep ever again. Where do you wanna travel to?" Margo asks, slowly becoming her usual self.

"I guess that's up to you, since I picked where we went last time."

Margo stares off into space for a bit, pondering where to head to next. Then she holds up her index finger as if you say 'lightbulb!'.