Tuesday, 6 March, 2018

"Hi" the girl's voice sounded just like the last time but at the same time there was something new in her tone, it was lighter, less held back and Jungkook wasn't the best when it came to reading people's emotions but he thought that this time, th...

"Hi" the girl's voice sounded just like the last time but at the same time there was something new in her tone, it was lighter, less held back and Jungkook wasn't the best when it came to reading people's emotions but he thought that this time, the girl from the other line was just as excited to be talking to him as he was.

"Hey, how was work?" with new found hope, he tried to strike up a conversation.

''Shitty'' she replied with a sigh and a few seconds passed before he understood that this will probably be the only answer "so, your parents?"

Another sigh escaped her lips "Wait" as soon as the words left her mouth, there was some shuffling along with the sound of a metal door being forced "Ah, fuck it" the curse was whispered but it was quiet enough to be heard clear, as it was the only thing to be shared between the two. Then something dropped with a loud thud, something that Jungkook decided seconds after that it could only be her own body as a groan followed the action.

"What did you do? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just jumped over a fence" she said a little amused, voice sounding a bit far as her phone was probably put down.

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows at that but chose to remain silent, her breathing came closer again and not long after a shrieking  sound pierced through his phone. A swing, a very old swing.

"Isn't it dangerous at this hour?"

"Um, no, I'm in a park near my house, the area is pretty quiet, the worst thing that could come for me would be my neighbour's annoying dog"

''Mhmm, I see'' 

Silence washed over them again and Jungkook stoop up from his desk where he had spent his last hours at to quickly put on one of his hoodies and quietly tip toe his way out of the house. His attention was divided between the creaking of his old staircase and the few sounds hanging in the air on the other part. It sounded as is she was debating on something, some grunts and disapproving sounds leaving her mouth once in a while. Jungkook's chuckle seemed to bring her back and she cleared her throat.

''Are you outside?'' she asked a little confused.

''Yeah, I remembered my little brother has a swing too and it's been a while since I've sat on one'' a short ''ok'' came as reply.

It seemed like every one of their conversations was bound to end up in an awkward silence, or at least on Jungkook's part it seemed this way. At this point he was wondering if it was because of him not finding the right things to say or her taking every conversation to a dead end.He involuntary let out a deep sigh.

 ''So...I had a fight with my parents'' not knowing what to say at this piece of information he already knew, he murmured a ''go on''.

Her talking wasn't constant, ''um-s'' ''er-s'' and ''uh-s'' alternating with her words every few seconds. Jungkook wanted to assure her that she needn't try so hard to choose what to say, because no matter the words she choose to use he won't judge her but decided once again that it'd be better if he didn't interrupt her and just let the girl take her time.

''My parents are...um, kind of strict'' a bitter, unamused laugh. ''Actually, no, they are very strict'' a short pause, Jungkook encouraged her to continue with a low ''oh''.

 ''They've chosen a certain path for me, they want me to become a prosecutor. And...erm...I don't know how to get to the actual point, it's kind of embarrassing''

''It's okay, just say it'' 

''This weekend we had a family dinner with some friends of theirs. And, uh, they also have a son and...you see, I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend because as they say ''it will only ruin my future because he'll distract me from my studies'' ''  the last part was muttered with pure mockery in her tone.

''Oh...that's really sad'' 

''Uh, no, I said that they don't allow me to, not that I don't do it behind the fools's back'' sarcasm was still present in her voice, and Jungkook assumed he'd be as pleased as her to disrespect his parents if they were anything like hers.

''Anyway, this weekend they decided that this boy would be the perfect boyfriend for me, but not because he's nice or anything, no, his parents are also lawyers and as he's from a good family, it'll only benefit my future''

''And they kept sending us to do things together or just stay together and it annoyed me so much because the guy's an asshole. But they don't care about what I want, they are just thinking of their dream.'' she took a deep breath, the sound of the swing's chains getting louder ''It angered me so much, I usually keep quiet and let them do and say whatever they want, but I thought that maybe they'll let me do things my way for once, with the whole boyfriend thing but no, they even have the nerve to tell me who to fuck'' she said, letting a huff of air through her nose. Taken a bit aback my the sudden curse word, Jungkook mused an ''I'm sorry'' too caught up in his thoughts about her whole situation to form a proper response and at the same time not really knowing what he should say to make her feel better.

''So I snapped, I told them I had to go somewhere and when they wouldn't let me go I left anyway. When I came back later that day they were so angry, you should've seen their faces" she let out an unamused laugh "They told me that I made a bad impression on those fuckers and that they were ashamed to have a daughter like me. I only bring them shame and so on'' the mockery was still strong in her tone ''Pfft, as if I wanted to make a good impression on that stuck-up family'' 

While listening to her, Jungkook's hand found it's way in his hoodie's pocket, from where he took out, out of habit, his pack of cigarettes along with a lighter.  Only when the stick had been placed in between his lips did he realise what he had been doing and he shook his head lightly at his unhealthy habit, but lit the cigarette anyway.

The sound seemed to grab the girl's attention ''You smoke. I didn't know''

He blew out the first trail of smoke, ceasing the movement of the swing as well ''Yeah...it's just something that kind of stuck with me''

''Hm...okay''

''So, they grounded you because you left?''

''Yeah, and because I also ruined their chances of having the perfect little family of lawyers'' a scoff and he could almost see her rolling her eyes.

''But that shouldn't be their choice, what the fuck'' a rush of adrenaline suddenly made its way through his veins and he stomped his feet on the ground beneath him, hand shooting up to ruffle his already disheveled hair in frustration.

''I know''

Before he could ask the next question that's been bothering him, a light caught his eye. His room's light were on. 

''Ugh, my little brother's awake'' he threw his nearly finished cigarette over his neighbour's fence and rose from the swing taking almost reluctant steps towards his house. ''I am really really really sorry, my brother is afraid of sleeping alone and I've been missing for some time now''

''Oh, it's okay, no need to apologize'' some movement was heard on the other side too and Jungkook noticed that the swinging has stopped. ''Thank you...for listening to my whining''

A small smile made it's way on his lips and he stopped for a second in front of the front door ''No problem, you can call me anytime, you know''

''Yeah, thank you again''

He threw a glance upstairs, where the light was still turned on and groaned ''I am sorry, but I really have to go''

''Just go already'' she said lightly, tone holding nothing of the annoyance from before ''Goodnight''

''Night, I know you said it's near but take care, ok?''

''Yeah, yeah, goodnight''