Chapter 5: Omegas

My assumptions were correct. This was an excruciatingly long day. Seconds ticked by as if they were minutes, minutes ticked by as if they were hours, and. . . well you get the point.

Though I pestered Derek every chance I could about how he even got my number as the day went by, Derek would only smirk, avoiding the subject and ultimately avoiding me. This of course annoyed me, so I decided to leave it be, which of course meant ignoring Derek in return. He would try to catch my gaze in class, staring at me and making my heart beat fast and warm, but I stayed looking forward. He would sigh heavily behind me, making my hair move slightly with his exhale, but still to no avail. He even tried calling my name a few times, but I still persisted. I was much better at ignoring people than he was.

The phone number thing was really only a small thing on my list of worries. I still felt anxious about last night and how Derek sent me off without much explanation. Maybe that's what he was going to try to clarify tonight, or maybe he was going to kidnap and kill me.

I didn't really want to go hang out with Derek tonight, which, sounded absolutely insane considering that Derek, yes Derek Hale, had asked if we could hang out after school. The hottest of hot guys. The king of the high school. 

Though our. . . friendship was different than most for sure, it still felt odd to me that someone like Derek would even associate with someone like me, so low on the caste.

As soon as the bell rang for lacrosse practice, Derek was up out of his seat and standing in front of me, blocking me from going anywhere as the rest of my classmates filtered out of the room, some glancing at us suspiciously, some wanting to linger, to see what was about to go down. 

"Hey." Derek said, sounding annoyed.

I continued to pack up my things and made a move to cut in front of Derek, but he stepped to his right, blocking me further.

"Stiles, why are you ignoring me?" He asked, sounding bothered. I said nothing, walking around my desk at the back of the class to go around Derek, but with lightning speed, no, werewolf speed, he was in front of me. 

I sighed, but again didn't say anything. I wasn't sure what to say and I was afraid if I opened my mouth I would just word vomit my anxieties to him. 

"Just. . .  talk to me, don't ignore me." Derek spoke softly. I snapped my eyes to meet his blistering stare. 

It wasn't fair to him, to share what I had and then shut him out, out of annoyance and curiosity. There were better ways to figure out what his goal was, what his angle was. 

"I'm sorry. I just. . . I'm kinda freaking out here Derek." I said, exasperated. 

"I know, I know." Derek lifted his hand as if he was going to touch me, but then slowly placed his hand in his pocket, as if trapping it, keeping it from reaching towards me.

"That's why I wanted to talk to you, to clear everything up. I promise, I'll tell you everything tonight." His tone was begging me to believe him, to agree to see him. 

"Okay," I nodded. "I'll meet you after school in the parking lot or something." I headed towards the door and Derek didn't stop me this time, but he did call after me.

"Wait, what about practice? We could just leave together."

"I'll take one out of your book, I don't really feel like practicing." I said, turning back towards him.

"Okay, we can skip-" He began.

"No, Derek. You're the captain of the team, I'm a bench warmer. You can't just skip practice. I need some time to. . . I don't really know I just need some time. I'll meet you after, I promise." I finished.