I'm Talking About You,Melbourne

Above: You can be forgiven for thinking that this lairy photo is Luna Park (an iconic funfair) in St Kilda, Melbourne, but no, it's Flinders Street Railway Station all lit up

What can I tell you about Melbourne, Australia's second largest capital city? It's in the state of Victoria; for me it's the state next door and therefore very accessible; only an hour's flying time. Is it special because it's so vibrant, cosmopolitan and sophisticated? Some parts of it are quirky, artsy, and alternative. Is the magic in the side streets, with labyrinths of little arcades to explore, each with something different to offer from the next?  Is it because of its trams which run all across the city and suburbs or the speedy trains? Or maybe it's the peaceful gardens such as the Botanical Gardens or Fitzroy, in which you can take a restful break among the lovely tall trees, away from the hustle and bustle; or Melbourne's wonderful Zoo. Is it about the varied restaurants, some grand, some smaller ethnic cafes and pastry shops; the latter two being my preference?  Perhaps the wonderful exhibition centre in Federation Square, the soaring Rialto Tower and the Melbourne Arts Centre across the Yarra River? 

 It's all of these things and more; the Melbourne I've come to know  quite well and enjoy. My daughter and her partner now live and work here, which is another reason why I love Melbourne so much and because of that, I've come to discover even more about it over recent years.

Above: A view of shoppers enjoying their coffee in one of the many Melbourne arcades

My title for this short book was inspired by one of my favourite songs: You, sung by super-talented Australian singer, Marcia Hines. She was born in the USA, but came here at the age of only 16 and has now become one of our outstanding performers. She's been Queen of Pop twice. She also  used to appear frequently on Countdown, a much loved and now iconic pop music show of the seventies and eighties. I've always loved her songs and in my twenties, before children, a friend and I used to attend her concerts whenever she came to Adelaide.

Do listen to some of her music on Youtube. You'll see what I mean.

Besides the city and suburbs, Victoria has a wealth of things to see and do, outside of the city. Take a trip to the Dandenong Ranges, with their beautiful tree fern forests and gardens, have a ride on the steam train Puffing Billy. You're never too old to enjoy that. There's the Pioneer Village at Ballarat Goldields and Sovereign Hill, and further west, the purple-blue Grampians, a range that seems to rise out of nowhere across the landscape. One of my favourite parts of Victoria is the Great Ocean Road, although I haven't travelled on it for quite a few years. I'll always remember it as a scarily winding road, one side hugging the hills, and on the other is a sheer drop to the treacherous Southern Ocean. I believe they've made some safety changes now, but like I said, I haven't driven on it for a long time.

 I believe they've made some safety changes now, but like I said, I haven't driven on it for a long time

Above: A section of the Great Ocean Road. How I'd love to be able to return there for another trip. Isn't it beautiful?

The south-western coastal towns of Warrnambool and Portland are historic and in ancient times were very volcanic. Old craters have now formed benign lakes and are favourite parks and picnic areas. The wildlife is abundant too, especially as you go further into the nearby Otway Ranges. Don't forget the high country, home to the Victorian snowfields. Yes; we have skiing there for four to five months of the year, depending on the season.  You can find accommodation in the Alps or nestling at the foot of the mist-shrouded mountains in beautiful towns such as Bright and Beechworth. I've always wanted to visit in autumn, after seeing photos of the trees wearing glorious colours. I went in early spring, quite a few years ago and recall the glowing yellow wattles. Any time spent in this area is worthwhile.

An old ad campaign used the line: 'You'll love every piece of Victoria; and so, just like I did in 'Here, There and Everywhere', I'll tell you about some of my past and more recent  trips to Melbourne and Victoria, the fun times  and other occasions when things didn't go quite as planned. There's plenty to talk about, so here goes then; There is something very special indeed about Melbourne.  

Above: A peaceful wander in Fitzroy Gardens, just a few tram stops away out of the CBD

Above: A peaceful wander in Fitzroy Gardens, just a few tram stops away out of the CBD. The photo shows a much younger me enjoying these gardens on a balmy October day.