The Idea of Love

“Do you remember what it’s like to fall in love?” The question popped into her mind as the night played out, and by the end, she had her answer. “This is falling in love.” The disclosure came silently as the New Year’s fireworks blasted above them in colors of blues, greens, whites and reds. They stood on a porch that looked over hills of snow and distant mountains. She gazed up at him, the colors reflecting off of his brown eyes as he smiled into the distance, his hand steadily wrapped around her waist holding her close. His eyes moved into hers as his brown hair fell just above his eyes. She wanted to kiss him so bad, but it wasn’t time. They both knew that, like an unspoken force between them, the same one that pulled them together. For that reason she was okay with just this, falling in love slowly and happily.

          The cold air rested on her face, causing her nose and cheeks to turn a rosie pink color. She wore a purple cocktail dress that rested just above her knees along with a pair of black leggings to go with it. A shiver moved through her body, she sighed at the same time holding on to the lingering, sinking feeling as it rested tight in her chest, and then let go. Her heart raced as a result. She pushed herself up on her toes and kissed him on the cheek, his face cold on her lips. He smiled; they were falling for each other, just as they knew they would one day, this day. The crowd cheered as the sky lit up one last time with the words ‘Happy New Year’ resting above them then sinking down into the darkness, leaving just the stars in its place.