9. Home

{Naiyah's POV}

(Dream/ Flashback)

   It was dark, the sun had just set not to long ago bringing in a nice cool breeze after a long hot summers day. The wind shifting the branches slightly as it blew. It was calming, peaceful like. Which is saying a lot since the tribe is always at war. Everything around me was calm, except for my beating heart. That was anything but calm, I could feel it in my chest, my heart was beating so fast that I was sure it was going to pop out of my chest.

   My feet silently but swiftly ran through the trees, trying to get to the lake as quickly as possible. My hands lifting the front of my skirt up so I wont trip. My long hair was down against my back, swaying as I ran. I slowed down as I got to the edge of the creek. I looked around me before bending down to the water, making a cup out of my hands and getting a drink of the water, it cooled my dry throat. The water ran strong as I looked, it came down from the mountain making it nice a cold. Water is Life, without it my people wouldn't be here. It took care of us, protected us.

   I reached behind me, my water basket on my back. I was sent by my grandmother to fetch more water for my younger sister, she caught a very high fever. Our medicine people say she is strong, no matter how little and young she may be. My medicine women said she need more water, so my grandmother told me to fetch some, but I was already out the door before she could finish the sentence. 

   I lowered the basket to the creek, feeling it up about halfway before I heard a twig snap. I quickly stood up, dropping the basket on the soft sand. My hand automatically going to my knife on my belt. Ready to fight. But I stopped when the person smiled at me.

   My eyes widen as I quickly looked around us to see if there was anyone watching before looking at him again, his smile still on his face. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

   K'uu-ch'ish smiled and walked closer to me. I backed away slightly. "I saw you run, I was curious where you were going. So I followed to make sure you were safe."

   "I was told to fetch more water for Soon-ts, I did not mean to worry you. But I am fine." I say putting my hands behind my back.

   He nods and leans down to pick up my basket for me. " I did not mean to frighten you Nai-yah," he says quietly, standing in front of me. 

   I nod and take the basket from him. " My father says the men are leaving before the sun rises. And that you are going with them. Is that true?" I ask softly, my hands gripping the basket tightly.

   He stays silent for a moment but answers honestly. "Yes, we leave to fight the Mexicans in the morning. Are you worried for me?" A small grin on is face.

   I chuckled and shake my head, looking anywhere else but those dark brown eyes. I wont admit this out loud but I really was. For him and my father. K'uu-ch'ish has always been someone constant in my life. We grew up together. He was my best friend. Always looking out for me, making sure I'm okay. Making sure I'm safe.