Kai and Nya: Kids home alone

Nya is the older brother to sister Kai. Their parents disappeared when Nya was 12 and Kai was only 4. Nya had already started his training in the forge run by his parents from the age of 8 and was well able to earn a living making most everyday items for local families and still somehow found the time to raise his baby sister. He managed all this while pursuing his own interest in systems technology and at the age of 16 gained an apprenticeship at Borg technology lab.

Nya's personality is quiet and studious, he lets the world move around him as he works, studies and creates. Though serious in nature, he can be coaxed out of his introversion by music and people laughing. Don't let his calm demeanour fool you; he has a fiery streak, triggered by threats to people he cares about.

Nya is 20 when sensei Wu recruits Kai. When Nya joins the crew after their first adventure, Wu believes Nya's elemental powers to be regressive, as they had not been revealed during his teens.

Nya continues his life much as before, creating and learning alongside the team, where he can continue being a big brother to Kai. He did not however expect the slightly overwhelming attention of Jay, one of Kai's teammates. Jay is instantly attracted to Nya even though there is a 6-year age difference. Nya pretty much ignores Jay who requires constant adoration and Nya will hide if he hears Jay coming. His feelings towards Jay change at a later date when he realises there is a hell of a lot more to her than he thought.

 His feelings towards Jay change at a later date when he realises there is a hell of a lot more to her than he thought

Kai, while well cared for was slightly feral when growing up. Allowed for the most part to roam the surrounding countryside while Nya worked. They always ate breakfast together and Kai always made it home for dinner; sometimes with dinner, when she would bring home a trapped hare or bird. In the early days of their abandonment, she would stow away in the back of delivery carts to see where she would end up and hoped that she may find her parents on route. Nya would be beside himself with worry, but soon realised she always came back, even if it was 2 days later.

Her lonely upbringing has made Kai singularly selfish in contrast to her brother, which makes falling in line with a team difficult. This begins to change when Sensei Wu fosters young Lloyd Garmadon. Whether unconscious or not, Kai see's a similarity between them and while Lloyd annoys the hell out of Kai, she is drawn to the girl and will sporadically show affection and look after her. She'll de-tangle and brush her hair when necessary and sometimes paint her nails green or black. Lloyd loves Kai's punk look, try's to emulate her and hangs around her a lot, which annoys Kai but at the same time bolsters Kai's sense of worth.

When Sensei Wu recruits Kai, she already has a great deal of skill as a fighter but the challenge will be to undo what she thinks she knows to become a truly skilled warrior who can work as part of a team.