As Time Ticks. .

Syncear

I've never seen Ida host such defeat and sadness. Even when maintaining what seemed like everything in her mind at bay—or trying—the corners of her narrow eyes glistened with tears. No one noticed, but I quickly did. She turned away violenting the second she noticed it, too.

I have no idea what Boston might've said —because of deliberate hushed tones—to turn her this way, but it broke her heart. Enough said in her eyes and posture to deliver that much. Much of what Ida had said and done not only to me, but to the people she claimed to love should've caused every compassionate bone in my body to go to anyone but her, but I couldn't help it.

She was human just like the rest of us and like any human on the planet she made mistakes I'm sure she regretted. How often that occurred was another question for a later date.

I couldn't believe I was saying this but she didn't deserve what Boston served her. Whatever it might've been.

"We have to get out of here, Syncear." Ryder's whisper tore my thoughts apart. I looked over my shoulder and into the direction of his voice. "I don't like the feel this place is giving me."

I nodded along to the words replaying in my brain. "You're right. The sooner, the better."

I didn't have to say much before Ryder took what we said into immediate action. Stalking in Boston's direction with so much determination and less fire that one wouldn't think he wanted to kill that man just minutes Bertie this.

Ida said nothing, Boston looked up at him with slightly defeated eyes. I swear after this, I don't ever want to see that look in his eyes ever again. I'm so tired of that look.

"I'm going to help you stand; do you think you can walk?" Ryder's gentle tone lightened the tension of the room by a few stones. The expression on Boston's face wasn't expecting anything like it.

He nodded slowly. "I'm cracked, not broken." A small smile caressed his lips matching exactly what he meant.

Spoken like a true champ.

Ida swallowed back something hard. Oh, I get it. That was meant for her.

Poor girl.

With no help from gravity, both Boston and Ryder struggled to keep either one of them balanced. Having both undergone horrible treatment and one literally having a bullet hole that nearly killed him, having only each other to lean on served many more problems that I'd rather not count at the moment.

With that thinking, I skipped out on hesitation to assist them both. While Ida sat and held back tears and struggle of her own.

"Thank you. . .Syncear." Boston held back any hard emotion but his words paid good enough. Clearly appreciation from both of them.

I'm just here to make their lives easier. . .I can't believe that's what I'm doing now.

"One problem down, a thousand more to go." The pity in Ryder's voice gave me chills. This was a dread for him. I guess having to solve everyone's problems again wasn't his cup of tea.

I should know that better than anyone.

"Are you coming, Ida?" The words came slipping right out of my mouth just before I had the chance to think about it. To reconsider if I actually meant it.

I did. . . Strangely.

Obviously, I expected Boston to give me the 'what the hell look' when inviting his history to join new beginnings. But oddly enough, Ryder did. Did he expect me to forget about her? Or was he trying to?