Chapter 7

He actually laughed, that's a start I guess. "Hey thanks for helping me clean up the kitchen too, well more like take over." He smirked, and he opened his mouth as if he was going to say something. But stopped and closed it. "When you finally talk I'm gonna throw a party. Just so you know." He rolled his eyes and smirked, as if he was saying yeah right. "I will do it, just say the word." Just as I was going to go on a rant about if he talks, when the home phone started to ring. "Hey I'll be right back, uh just don't break anything." I ran over to the phone, it was my mom, I took a deep breathe and answered.

"What's up mom?" It was quiet for a minute, probably gathering her thoughts. "Rani....." "Mom.....what is it?" Her breathing was shallow, but there. "It won't be long now, you know that." Her voice soft, trying to hide the pain, but she couldn't very well. And she knew this, but she tried anyways. "How much longer though, isn't the medicine working, they said it wa-" "Rani there isn't a cure!" I stopped, slowly soaking it in. "W-what do you mean..." She didn't make a sound, too quiet. "Mom what do you mean, you, everyone told me he was going to be fine, an-" "I didn't tell you the whole truth." She sighed. "I'm sorry Rani, I'll be home soon." "I want to see him mom, please." I begged and begged her, I pleaded. I got the same answer every time. I'm sorry baby, no sweetie, it's better this way. "Call your friends over, I love you baby." "I wish you would have told me, bye mom." I put the phone back in the receiver. I turned around and I saw Guy standing there. I don't know how much he heard I didn't care at the moment so I ran to my room.

I don't know how long it had been when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. I panicked, confused why someone was in my house. Then it all came back to me at once. My heart sank. I got up slowly and opened my door. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have stormed off, ther-." His face was apologetic, a look of empathy, not sympathy. I saw sadness in his eyes, pain, fear. But he smiled, grabbed my arm, and pulled me to the living room. We sat down on the couch, he looked over to the phone. And looked back at me. "She's not calling back, I don't know when she'll be home." I could tell that's not what he meant. He got up and grabbed a picture frame. Then brought it over to me.
It was a picture of me, Shobha, and Dem. We were standing in front of a Claire's. This was taken two years ago. That was the day Dem came out the closet to us. So we took him to get his ears pierce, and we got him a rainbow purse, which he still uses. I looked at Shobha, she had her long strawberry light brown hair in a high ponytail. She wore hear favorite croptop; light blue with white letters saying HOT ROD. It had a little bit of cleavage showing. We used her as pillow because of her breasts. Like I said all the boys drool. She paired her top with mid thigh jean shorts. Oh how her mom hated them. Shobha says blue goes with her nice tan she gets ever summer. And she wore her favorite galaxy Converses. She was posing with a peace sign in front of her face, wearing a simple simle on her face.
Dem was wearing a pink and purple tie dye shirt, with black Jean pants. He had his black curly hair swooped to the side. He always hated how much we love his hair. He got a mix of his parents hair. He tells us it's because he's mixed. We say it's because he's fabulous. He had yellow sneakers, and he always wears them. Well he buys the same shoe so he can wear them forever. Lord forbid if we hide them, trust me dont. He had the biggest grin, it was cute, he felt on top of the world. I don't blame him, he finally felt comfortable. Now Shobha and him give me fashion advice. We always check out boys together. And of course he had his hands on his hips, he had that sassy look.
Then I see myself, sporting a red tee, with my favorite pair of dyed maroon jean pants. And a pair of black combat boots.I had my black hair in a short bob, my favorite haircut still to this day. I thought it would be cool if I did the splits for the picture, they had to help me get up off the floor. I was so happy that day, we all were. They are my closest friends, I'm so lucky to have them. Now I'm sitting here, looking at this picture not knowing what to do. "Do you wanna know who they are?" He smiled, guess he wants me to think about other things. "Okay well, that girl in the crop top, her name is Shobha, and the boy with the rainbow purse that's Dem we made him get the purse. And right there is yours truly." He look at the picture then at me. He did that about three times. "Just so you know that was two years ago, so I look a little different." Those days I didn't have to worry about anyone dying, no hospitals, no long trips to different doctors, it was perfect. And now it's gone, and all I have are memories.