Chapter 16- In the Game

So cute pic to the side I found of Dot and Jay. I didn't even know Molly Quinn and Logan Lerman were in a movie together! But this pic is awesome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 16- In the Game

I look around, taking in the objects around me. I see a small green backpack just a few feet from me. If I can run as fast as I can when the gong sounds, I might just make it. Then I look around for weapons. I think I see something lying next to the backpack, but I'm not sure if it's a weapon or something else.

I see woods behind me and to my left and know I need to follow Katniss that way. In the mouth of the Cornucopia, I can see two bows ad arrows. Of course they have two because ones meant for Jay. I can see he thinks this too and when he looks over at me, I shake my head.

I don't know how long has passed when the gong sounds and I'm running like I've been shot. I grab the green backpack and small knife that lay beside it. A small boy from District Four runs up, obviously meaning to get the same backpack. He's so small that I don't want to kill him, so I just hold my knife in front of me, keeping him at bay.

I start to run towards the forest in the direction Katniss is going when something hits the backpack. Crap! I look behind me to see Clove throwing knives. She throws one at my arm and I jerk out of the way, barely missing it. Another hits my backpack before I make it into the safety of the woods. 

I see Katniss staring past me to the other people as I run into her. She jerks up and grabs one of the knives.

"Katniss! I wanted to be your ally!" I say, puting my hands in the air. She thinks about it a minute and looks back at the blood covered field. Then she nods.

"I guess I could use a psychic on my side." and she's off. I struggle to keep up with her as we disappear from the other tributes sights. I hope Jay's okay.

So for a while we walk and jog. I'm out of breath but I keep going. I know I have to. I take both the knives out of my backpack and put them in my belt on both sides. Without stopping to examine the backpack, I slide my other knife in.

"See any water in the future?" Katniss asks as we continue to walk.

"Not for a while." I say as a rabbit hops out of a bush. That means there could be more for food. Katniss and I share a look and keep going.

By late afternoon, we begin to ear the cannons. Katniss and I stop and count the number of times it was fired. One... Two... Three... And we count until the number doubles from the original number to  twenty-four. Twenty-four left. Is one of them Jay? Did be become a Career with Peeta?

We finally sit down, exhausted from walking so long.

"Is Peeta all right?" Katniss asks. What could it hurt?

"Yeah, he's fine. Doing pretty well." I say in a heavy breath. She nods.

"What about Jay? Is he okay?" 

"I don't know about him. He's psychic too so I can't sense him. I hope he's all right." I sigh. Katniss starts looking through her backpack. I have all the same things as Katniss except instead of dried beef, I have dried fruit. And my small water bottle has a little bit of water in it. Its not full to the top but it's water.

"Thank the Lord!" I say out loud as I take a sip. The cool liquid feels good on my dry parched throat. I give Katniss a sip and she sighs.

"Now I'm glad I agreed to be your ally." she says. We put our things back in our packs as twilight approaches. I look around for any animals as Katniss gets us some bark to chew on (ew) just in case we don't find food.