Chapter 7: Why Me?

Chapter 7: Why me?

I wake up early, and decide to go back to my room. I carefully disengage myself from Rachel's covers and gather my stuff. Im not in the mood to talk to either of them, so I leave quickly. I creep back to my room on cats feet, with last nights conversation still spinning in my head.

Does he like me? Or does he not? Maybe he likse me? Oh, I don't know anymore! And what about Josh? Does Rachel like Josh? Or, more importantly, does Josh like Rachel? Even more importantly does he still like me? Josh is a player. What does it matter? Ugh. It does matter.

I decide to just focus on school for right now. Speaking of which, it starts in an hour and a half. I should start getting ready. After all, I have to be a "fabulous popular" again. Rachel told me early last night that in order to stay a popular I have to talk like them, and dress like them, and act like them. But I am not going to look like and act like Rachel the Overly Perky Clown. So I decide to wear my regular side-braid. I throw on my uniform. And put on the only fancy necklace I own. That's as far as I'm going to go with this "Popular dress code" nonsense. I stare at my reflection in the mirror. Makeup. Thats all I'm missing. But never have I ever done my makeup.

When Isabelle wakes up, I decide to ask her to do my makeup for me. She looks at me strangely, wondering what on earth has happened to me. Still, she puts on a light pink eyeshadow, and taints my lips bubblegum pink. She also puts on mascara, eyeliner, and blush. I know I look like a cutesy, playful, hot doll. But maybe Alex will like this...LEVIN QUIT IT!

Reluctantly, I keep the makeup on. Only on the thought of Alex enjoying it, not because I enjoy this. Plus if we want to follow through with our plan, I can't get kicked out of the Populars. I figure this is a good motivation and head out the door.

I don't see Alex again 'till lunch. He walks in and hardly gives me a second glance. When I sit down next to him, he asks for my name. Then, he realises its me.

"Whoa, Levin. You look good. I mean, not that you didn't look good before, but now that really highlights your natural beauty. Which you have a lot of." he stutters. "um...I like it."

So, at least there is one advantage to sitting with the populars. Alex eases his arm around me and whispers in my ear.

"Hey, Levin. You wanna go see Mockingjay with me tomorrow? We have the day off, its Saturday." he says in a deep voice.

Did he just ask ME out? Oh my god.

"You can say no if you want, its okay. I mean, after everything you've been through."

This little moment is ruined when I turn my head and see Josh looking at Alex as if he had killed his family.

"Um, Alex. How, about yes! I mean, um, lets talk about this later." I say, cautiously.

Alex notices something is up and tilts his head to look at Josh.

"Yes? Can I help you Josh?" Alex asks sarcastically.

"Yes, you can. You can lay off of Levin." Josh replies.

"Why? Levin likes me." Alex says.

Ummmm... When did Levin say that? I mean, Levin can't argue with it, but still. Levin never said that.

"No she likes me!" Josh says forcefully.

No, Levin wouldn't like you if you and I were the last people on Earth.

Josh then says "And if you don't like it, you have me to face."

Then, just in time, the bell rings. As I am hurrying away, I hear a crash. I turn and run back to the table. Josh has wrestled Alexander to the ground, and repeatedly bashed Alex's head with a salt and pepper shaker. Alex is badly bleeding on one side of his head. He stares up with sightless eyes and is barely breathing. A blood-curdling scream fills my ears.

To be continued...