Chapter 40: Drama

Claire's P.O.V.

*continued*

"Thank god." Max says with a sigh of relief while dropping his head, with his hands still on my waist.

"What? Did you think I was gonna say I don't love you?" I ask over the sound of the music.

"I actually did." He says.

"Well you were wrong." I say.

"I have a tendency to be wrong apparently." He says leaning down to me once again.

"Yes you do." I say and right before our lips touch I feel another hand on me, and it's not mine. I then feel myself being ripped away from Max. I turn around and see Braden standing there with wide eyes. He's wearing a white tux that also kind of matches my dress. Braden walks over to the other side of Max and pulls him away by the jacket, I follow them, but I lose them in the crowd of people. I push through everyone and see Braden and Max really close to each other talking with worried faces behind the DJ equipment. They see me standing there, and they look at each other and then start to quickly walk towards me.

"Claire, we have to get you out of here. Like right now." Braden says. Now that he's in better light I can see that he has a bruised eye.

"Who did this to you?" I ask reaching up for his eye but he dodges it.

"That doesn't matter, you need to leave." Max says pushing me towards the door.

"Guys, guys. What's going on?" I ask stopping in my tracks.

"There is no time for you to be here. Just go." Braden says.

"I'm not leaving until I know why." I say crossing my arms. Braden looks up and then immediately looks over at Max and gives him a small nod with a worried face.

"Come on, out the back." Max says pushing my back.

"Why do I have to leave? Just tell me!" I yell over the music.

"John." Max says.

"John? I have to leave because of one person?" I ask.

"Yes. He said he really needs to talk to you and when I said no he did this." Braden says pointing to his black eye.

"We know he wants to hurt you. Please, we have to get you out of here." Max says.

"I'm not leaving unless you go with me." I say.

"Fine, I'll go." Max says.

"Both of you." I say looking at Braden. His back is turned to me, he must be watching out for John. But when I say 'both' his head whips around with wide eyes.

"What?" Braden asks.

"I'll leave, but only if both of you go with me." I say.

"Why do you want me to go?" Braden asks.

"I know you're gonna defend me, but I'm not letting you get hurt." I say, and I really don't want him hurt. I know what you're thinking, he deserves it, are you seriously going to protect him after what he did to you?

"I'm staying. I'm going to tell him you went somewhere else. Max, take her home." Braden says.

"No. I'm not leaving unless both of y'all leave." I say.

"And what if I don't?" Braden asks.

"I'll go find John." I say crossing my arms.

"No!" Max yells. Braden gets a look of dilemma over his face, and he should. But there's a clear choice, leave.