Dancing in the Dark

Every breathe you take.
Every move you make,
Every bond you break,
Every step you take,
I'll be watching you

"Mike?" El asked as she turned down the volume of the stereo to talk to her boyfriend. Her dark hair was shoulder length now, so she had it tied back in a ponytail.

"Yes, love?" Mike said, and walked over to her, and smiled when he reconized the song that was playing.

"Remember that night at the Snowball?" She hummed the song softly and a smile formed on her lips.

"How could I forget? That was one of the best nights of my life..." Mike smiled.

"One of the best?"

"Yeah." A smirk flickered across his lips. "The other best nights were meeting you and you coming home. I will never forget those three nights."

El's cheeks turned red and she looked away. Mike chuckled and pulled her close. "Okay, what were you saying about the Snowball?"

"Remember when we danced? I miss that..." El stated, resting her head on his shoulder

"I miss it too, El. I had so much fun with you that night." Mike pulled her hair out from the ponytail carefully and ran his fingers through her dark curls. She sighed contently and closed her eyes.

"I wish we could do it again."

An idea sparked in Mike's head. "We can."

"What?"

"We can dance, El. Why don't I... okay, tonight, put on a dress and meet me in the basement." Mike was excited now. He couldn't wait to surprise El with another special night.

"Um, okay?" El was a bit nervous about what Mike had planned, but was also excited to possibly re-live one of the best nights of her life.

"It will be fun, I promise." Mike wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"Okay. I trust you." El said softly and cuddled into his chest. Mike pressed a soft kiss against her head and began thinking about the surpirse he was planning for his girlfriend.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

A few hours later...

Mike had left an hour ago to set up the basement for El's surprise. He had strung up lights along the walls and had set up a few other things.

El was upstairs with Nancy, planning her dress. With Nancy's help, she had a purple and blue dress with black flats. Though Mike and El were supposed to meet later, Nancy had already done simple makeup on the young girl.

Though Nancy would never say it out loud, she truly cared about her brother and was happy that he had found a girl who deserved him and loved him. That girl was El.

Soon, the time came for her to go meet Mike. After getting dress and ignoring Nancy's fangirling over her, she went into the basement and gasped.

The only light in the room was the lights that were strung across the walls. The basement looked cleaner than usual, that was surprising. She could faintly see the stereo sitting on the table.

Then she saw Mike. He walked over to her, a small smiled on his face. He was wearing his suit from the Snowball; the memory of when she saw him in the gym at the Snowball flashed in her mind, making her smile more.

"Hey beautiful..." Mike said, walking over to her, taking her hand in his gently and pressing a kiss against her knuckles, making her giggle.

"Mike... this is amazing..." El said, truly awestruck by how the basement looked.

"I'd do anything for you El..." Mike said softly, and pulled her into the middle of the room. "Do you want to dance?"

'Um, do you want to dance?' Mike asked El nervously.

'I dont know how.' El replied quietly.

'I don't either, let's figure it out together.'

El smiled from the memory and nodded. Mike grinned and pressed a button on the stereo, and a familier song began to play.

Every breathe you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Mike placed his hands on her waist and her arms snaked around his neck as they began to slow dance together. His grip on her waist was tighter than it was at the Snowball and he pulled her closer so his arms could wrapped around her waist.

El felt emotions she hadn't felt since the Snowball resurface inside her. The happiness returned to her heart as she lost herself in Mike's soft brown eyes. The Snowball was the night they had both realized how much they meant to eachother.

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace

A smile formed on their lips as the these lyrics played.

I dream at night I can only see your face

Mike pulled her closer until they were only a few inches apart.

I look around but it's you I can't replace

His arms tightened around her waist.

I feel so cold and I long for your embrace

Her arms tightened around his neck as he began to lean in.

I keep crying baby, baby, please

Mike pressed his lips against her softly, but didn't pull away as quickly as before. El smiled against his lips and pulled away slightly and rested her forehead against his.

Butterflies fluttered her stomach and she thought of their kiss at the Snowball. Deja Vu.

"I love you El Wheeler- I mean Hopper." A smirk flickered across his lips making her smile.

"I love you too Mike Wheeler." El lowered her voice. "'El Wheeler' doesn't sound that bad..." A smirk formed on her lips as his cheeks turned red.

El rested her head on his shoulder as they danced slowly, happy that Mike had brought back the memories of the best night of her life.