Chapter 4

Abel:
I put my headphones in and leaned back in my lounge chair as I scrolled through twitter. Everyone was talking about my Coachella performance from the night before and how I "cried" over Selena.

I kept watching the video over and over because I didn't even remember crying but the tears were definitely there. It was killing me letting the world see me so vulnerable and I wanted to drink myself into a coma but I've been trying to cut back on alcohol.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and when I turned it was Lamar.

I took my headphones off. "Hey bro."

"You good?" He sat next to me. "You been real quiet since you got off stage last night."

"I'm just tired I guess."

"You not gonna go turn up tonight?"

"I don't really wanna go. I'm not performing or nothing so I think I'm just gonna stay here."

"Hell no, you're coming to 'chella with us tonight. French and Diddy are gonna be there so you have to show out! Plus maybe you can find a girl or something to help you out of your blues."

"I'm not really looking for a girl right now, you know that."

"Why? Is it 'cause you already found one?"

"What? No."

"C'mon bro, the past like week and a half you haven't been as sad as you usually are so I know something's up. Are you talking to Bella?"

"No."

"Then what is it? Or who is it?"

"Okay, I've kind of been talking to this girl but just on some friendly shit."

"For real? What's her name?"

"Um...honestly, I don't know."

"What? You don't know her name?"

"Nope."

"Okay, so what does she look like?"

"I don't know."

"Nigga how have you been talking to this girl and you don't know her name or what she looks like?"

I shrugged. "I kind of like that I don't know. It makes our conversations more interesting."

"What the hell? Dude, she could be like 12 or a fat old man just fucking with you."

"She's not."

"How would you know?! You've never seen her!"

"I know but I just know she isn't. She told me her birthday is next week and I was thinking about inviting her here for weekend two of coachella."

"So you're gonna invite a girl who you've never seen and don't know her name, to our crib to hang with us? What if she's a murderer or what if she robs us or something?"

"You are a real negative nancy bro. It's all for fun."

"Nah, your crazy. Let me know if mystery girl shows up so I can get the fuck up out of here." He shook his head. "You're playing a risky game Abel, you don't even know who this chick is."

"Whatever."

He walked back inside and I put my headphones back on before picking up my phone again.

Since me and "buttercup" had been talking for a little while, we stopped DMing each other and started texting.

We spoke almost daily and for hours and hours. For some reason, I really trusted this girl. I had confided in her told her some things about me and Selena's relationship that I hadn't told anyone else and she could've exposed our conversation to the whole world but she didn't. Instead she told me that anything I say to her will stay confidential which I appreciated. It was comforting having someone I could talk to, other than the crew and Ms.Violet but what Lamar said was starting to make me think.