Chapter 2 - Kaden

Olivia was lying on the cold, hard floor of the cave she had stumbled into. Her eyes were open but nothing was visible in the darkness. She listened to her own breathing and the soft sounds of rain coming from a distance as she tried to remember what had happened.

It all came back to her.

The wolves. The chase, the running. The cave… THE CAVE! She sat up quickly and scooted backwards in panic. Her back hit the wall. Was it real? Was there really… a… a dragon? She stuttered in her mind, afraid to even think of the word.

I’m alive, I think. She did a mental check of her state. Yes, still alive and mostly in one piece. Exhaling deeply in relief, Olivia rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palms and then pushed her hair behind her ears. She smelled moisture in the air and a lingering scent of burned fur with a slight acrid undertone.

She wondered again how she had managed to get herself into this situation. She had a good life, being born into a well-situated family. Her parents had been trying for years to have a child. When they had almost given up, she had been conceived. Olivia Violet Caroline Moore had been born as the only child of Connal and Caroline Moore and thus treated accordingly.

Olivia had spent her childhood being doted upon by her parents and the household help. She grew up in the family castle and had lived a sheltered life, always having what she desired.

She loved to daydream and yearned to one day have what her parents had, the love they shared. Even though they had provided her with everything she wanted, Olivia had never acted spoilt.

As the years passed by, Olivia grew into a very bright and happy young lady. Her hair was dark with curls like her mother’s. She always kept it short, just below her ears. The shape and color of her eyes she got from her father, blue as the sky on a bright sunny day. Olivia was not an extraordinary beauty, but her bright smile and personality made her stand out.

She had never had many friends her age and status because she lived a few hours ride from the nearest city. Thus, she had played with the servants’ children and could often be found riding her horse.

Now, though, she had nothing. It was her own fault; her selfishness and head stuck high up in the clouds. She still could’ve had it all, save for the one thing she wanted the most and now she found herself even further away from that dream.

Rising carefully, Olivia stood on trembling legs while holding onto the cave wall. She tilted her head to the side and listened, trying to hear where It was, if It was still inside. Olivia concluded she had been moved further into the cave. She couldn’t see the moonlight shining through the entrance, or maybe there was no more moonlight since it was raining. Again.

A cold shiver ran down her spine.

The sound of rain echoing off the walls of the cave made it sound as waves crashing on a shore.

She let herself daydream. Oh, what I wouldn’t give to be on a shore somewhere. The sun warming my face, the scent of sea on the summer breeze and the calming sounds of the crashing waves surrounding me.

Another shiver shook her now fragile and bloodied body, breaking her out of her thoughts.

Olivia breathed in deeply. As if trying to suck in courage through the air and she squared her shoulders bravely. She felt her way around the cave, thinking it likely that she would reach a passageway at some point. Hopefully one that would lead her outside.

And then what? Bitterness invaded her thoughts. Her hands glided over the rough surface of the cave walls, slowly moving along, I’ll deal with it when the time comes.