Chapter 3

Shannon was seething as I steered him toward the car, but he wasn't the only one

Shannon was seething as I steered him toward the car, but he wasn't the only one. I was stinging from his newly discovered betrayal. "I can't fucking believe you did that to me. What the hell, Shannon? When did you get so underhanded?"

"Oh yeah, I was the sneaky one. You stabbed me in the back first," he shot back at me.

"You started it? Really? That's your defense? We're not seven anymore and no one stabbed you in the back. If anyone sabotaged you it was you."

"Yeah, everyone wants to point out my mistakes but no one is actually willing to hear my side of things or talk it out with me. Jane made mistakes and everyone was all "Oh, it's okay Janey, stop crying, we forgive you." I fuck up and before we can talk about it at all you're balls deep in my girlfriend!"

"You're what?" Chloe demanded as she stalked across the lawn. Perfect. Just what this night needed. Another scene.

"Not tonight," I grumbled.

"Yeah, I think we are going to talk about this tonight," Chloe said, completely misunderstanding me. "Is this why that redhead came up to me and asked who I was and then told me I needed to go collect my boyfriend?"

"I meant this happened four years ago..."

"I told her I didn't have a boyfriend, by the way. Just some asshole who promises me bullshit so I'll suck his dick."

I groaned. "Chloe, goddammit tell me you did not fucking say that to her!" Chloe rolled her eyes and handed me my phone. "You know what, fine. This isn't worth it. Get in the goddamn car and I'll take you back to my place so you can gather your shit and go find someone who'll treat you in the manner you so clearly think you're entitled to."

She spluttered but got in the car, glaring at me the entire time. I turned to Shannon, who still stood on the opposite side of the vehicle, refusing to get inside. "As for you, were you holding that "Jane fucked up card" the entire time thinking it was going to get you out of whatever trouble you got into? Did you seriously think you were going to get away with sleeping around on her? Does she seem like the type to you that would go for that? What you and she did weren't even remotely on the same level. You made a conscious decision over and over again. She made an impulsive bad choice when she was drunk, and she owned it immediately. You need to take responsibility for your fucking mistakes for once, Shannon."

"Why am I the only one being held to that fucking standard!" Shannon shouted at the top of his lungs. I glanced around nervously and noted some people looking our way. I turned back to try again to get Shannon into the car but he was stalking off.

"Shannon!" I called after him but he just flipped me off and kept walking. I got in the car and drove after him.

"I'll call a cab. Fuck off," he growled before flipping me off again and then walking away in the opposite direction. I looked over at Chloe who was sitting in the passenger seat, arms folded, looking at me like I was asshole of the year. I was done with both of them. I headed for home.