Chapter 5

Koharu lightly hummed as she browsed the selection of books in front if her. Guides for public speaking; because she had trouble with that and if she wanted to join the council somewhere, she knew she would need to get better with that skill.

"Hey Koharu!" Someone came up to her with a whisper.

Koharu turned to see one of the boys from her science class. Koharu pushed her glasses up slightly and turned back to the shelves. "Hello."

"Did you do your science worksheet? My practice ran over yesterday and I didn't have time to do it!"

Koharu caught the bluff, but replied, "I did."

"Great! Can I see it?" he said.

Koharu pursed her lips. She really shouldn't be giving her homework out. She knew how much trouble she could get in for it. Plus, she didn't really like to give it out.

"Come on Koharu, I can always count on you!" he pushed verbally.

Koharu sighed, "O-Okay. It's in my book over there," she pointed to the table where her things were, specifically her notebook which sat at the top of the stack of her things.

"Thank you!" he cried, rushing to the notebook with his own worksheet fluttering in his hand.

Koharu faced the bookshelf again, this time a knot in her throat and her concentration broken. She scanned the book titles, but couldn't tell what would be useful. With a frustrated huff, she snatched a random one off its place. Her face froze when she spotted a different face behind the gap of the book.

Asahi stopped too, returning Koharu's surprised stare. "Oh hi," he waved shortly.

"H-Hello," Koharu stuttered.

She watched as he put a book away on the opposite shelf. "Just looking through some nutrition books." He glanced at her, "What are you reading?"

"Um..." Koharu looked down at the title, "'Speaking Out in Public'?"

He hummed, "Interesting."

Koharu shifted awkwardly. This was being a weird conversation. Also, why was he talking to her? She could only think of one reason why.

"Uh... did you, um, want to look at my homework?"

Asahi blinked, "What? Why?"

Koharu immediately blushed, "I-I mean, sometimes some people want help with their homework and I help so I just thought that maybe you wanted it too! Sorry!"

His face darkened a moment and Koharu shifted backwards a bit. He shook his head, "I don't think we're even in the same grade." Asahi looked up at her, staring for a second before saying, "You're one of Mahiru's friends, aren't you?"

Koharu brightened, surprised that he recognized her, "Yes, I am. Mahiru is great. I really love her."

She didn't notice the strange look that came across his face, as she put the book in her hand away. They walked to the end of the shelves to keep talking.

His face was pensive as he said, "Try the book 'Public Speaking for All' by Thomas Reggie. That one really helped me."

Koharu blinked, "You read a public speaking book? You don't... seem like someone who would need it."

Asahi laughed, "Gee, thanks! But trust me, everyone gets a little nervous with speaking in public. You aren't alone with that problem."

Koharu blushed, "Oh, I didn't know."

Asahi shrugged, "I'm sure you'll be able to get better with it."

"Thank you," Koharu said. She pulled out her phone from her pocket and glanced at the time. "I should get going, Mahiru and I are going out."

Asahi blinked, something flashing in his eyes, but nodded, "Don't worry about it."

Koharu smiled, "It was nice talking to you."

Asahi smiled back, "You too!" He waved and was off.

Koharu gathered her things from the table, where the boy from earlier was gone now, and headed out of the library. She was going down the hall where Mahiru was when her phone dinged to notify a text message. She checked to find a message from Mahiru telling her that she would be out in a few. Koharu replied with a quick confirmation, and continued down the hallway calmly.

As she passed down the various rooms, one of the doors to the practice rooms were open. Koharu slowly edged around the wall to peer inside, only to spot Yozora stretching.

The beauty stopped stretching, noticing Koharu at the door, "Ah! Koharu! How nice to see you!"

Koharu approached her, entering the room, "It's nice to see you, too."

Yozora came up and briefly hugged her, "How are you? What are you up to?"

Koharu smiled, "I'm waiting for Mahiru, actually. We're going to go shopping together."

Yozora's eyes brightened, "Is that so? Aw, I would love to join you, but unfortunately I'm going to be busy until I can make it home for dinner." She pouted.

"Uh, It's okay, Yozora... You can join us another time," Koharu said.

"That's so sweet of you, Koharu," Yozora said, holding her hands over her chest, "Mahiru would never say something like that." Koharu laughed nervously as she continued, "I hope you rub off on her."

"Rub off on who?"

The two girls turned to see Mahiru entering the room, her bag over her shoulder and her phone in hand.

"Mahiru!" Yozora greeted, "You didn't even invite me to your shopping trip! Big sister's hurt!"

Mahiru scoffed and rolled her eyes, "That's because you're busy. And because we just planned in this morning." She motioned for Koharu to follow, "We'll be going now. I'll be home by dinner."

Yozora nodded as the two exited the room, "Okay. Have fun you two!" Something hit Yozora and her eyes glinted with new found knowledge as she watched the two walk closely down the hall.

Next time! Yume gets a job!