34

"Derek, what the hell?" I say, looking at my husband laying on the front porch.
"We should be together." Derek says.
"What don't you get?!" I scream.

"Mom? Is everything okay?" I hear Zola ask behind me.
"Hey Zo, did you hear me scream?" I ask.
"Yeah. Wait, what's dad doing on the ground? Is he gonna be okay? If he needs surgery, is Auntie Amy gonna operate on his brain?" Zola asks.
"Hopefully he doesn't need surgery. But if he does, then Auntie Amy and I will work together on his brain." I say
"Dad Derek?" Zola asks, finally noticing Derek there.
"Hey Zozo, what's up?" Derek asks.
"Did you hit my dad?" Zola asks.
"I uh well, you see-" I cut him off.
"Dad Derek doesn't like Dad very much. He didn't mean to hurt him." I say, glaring at Derek.
"You're right. I didn't mean to. I'm very sorry Zola." Derek says.
"You're so mean! Why would you hurt someone who is so nice to Mom and makes her happy?" Zola screams and runs over to Derek and hits his arm.
"Zola, come here now. It's late. Go back to bed. And apologize to dad Derek." I say firmly.
"No! I don't wanna go to bed, Mom! Dad Derek hurt my dad and he needs to mean it when he says sorry!" Zola shouts.
"Okay Derek, just apologize so we don't wake up the entire freaking neighborhood." I say.
"No. Nathan is jerk and needs to know that. He took you from me." Derek says.
"Zola, go upstairs now, and get Auntie Amy and then watch a movie on the iPad. If Bailey and Ellis are up, they're free to watch too. And sit with Auntie Maggie." I say as my daughter runs upstairs.

"Derek, Nathan did not take me away from you. You fucking left! You went to work for the stupid president of the United States and you left your family here! Three thousand fucking miles away! Oh, and them y'all had the audacity to FAKE YOUR DEATH! And then show up here, what, a handful of years later? Seriously, Derek? Seriously?" I scream at him.
"I'm sorry, Meredith. I didn't want to leave but we were fighting all the time and I thought getting some space might help. The president didn't do the right thing. I know that now." Derek says.
"You should have known it then! Is some job really more important than your family?" I shout but it turns into more of a shouting sob.
"Mer, what's going- oh shit. Derek, what the hell did you do?" Amy says walking outside and rushing to Nathan's side.
"Has be been conscious since he got hit by my idiot brother?" Amy asks.
"No, not moving either. Last I checked, a minute ago he was still breathing and had a pulse." I say.
"Pulse is very weak and thread. Decreased breath sounds on the right, we need an ambulance." Any says pulling her phone out.

"Hi, I need an ambulance right away. Yes, Dr Meredith Grey's house. No, not in the woods. In downtown Seattle. Yes, that's the address. Alright. I'm a doctor, Dr Amelia Shepard, neurosurgery." She says and hangs up.
"How long?" I ask.
"They're sending their best team, about 3 minutes they said." Amy says and goes inside to grab some stuff. She then goes to her car and starts the engine.
"Now Maggie is with the kids, you take the rig there. I'll meet you there." Any says and drives to the hospital.

"Dr Grey?" A woman yells.
"Over here!" I say and flicker the porch lights.
Four paramedics run over and assess injuries and lift him onto a gurney.
"Oh um I'm going to ride with you. Take him to Grey Sloan Memorial. I work there." I say as the doors close.

Get away from my house, Derek. Go check into a hotel. - Meredith
I don't want a hotel. But fine. I get why you're mad. - Derek
I'm not mad, Derek. I'm freakin pissed. This is exactly why I don't trust you around my kids. - Meredith
Okay. Is it okay if I stay on the west coast and have FaceTime calls and letters with the kids? - Derek
That should be fine. But if you push your luck, you won't have any contact until they're each 18 and it's their choice. - Meredith