Chapter Eleven

Spaghetti, Seth's favorite food, was the first thing he smelled when he walked into his home.

Shortly after that, he noticed a path of rose petals going toward the dining room. With a frown, he took off his jacket and hung it up.

"Gen?"

He didn't get a response.

Seth followed the rose petals into the dim dining room where his wife was sitting at the candle-lit table, wearing a lingerie set.

"Welcome home," she pursed her ruby red lips.

Seth was so surprised it took him a minute to form words. "What's this?"

"A night all about you," Gen stood.

Her heels clicked against the wooden floor as she walked over to him. "I've got some wine," she pointed to the table. "Your favorite food and. . ."

Genevieve put her arms around his neck. "Me . . . for dessert."

She planted a kiss on him, and again, Seth was lost for words.

Mostly conflicted too. Gen hadn't done anything like this in a while. Conceiving has been so difficult that their love life had taken a bit of dive.

"Wow, Gen," he looked at the table. "You didn't have to do this."

"I wanted to," she said sincerely. "I know I've been focused on my career a lot, and you've probably been feeling like I'm neglecting you and the baby. And I'm sorry, Seth," she apologized. "I'm really sorry."

She took his hands. "Just because the baby is on its way doesn't mean we shouldn't work to be on one accord and be better. I want to do my part in that."

Seth was quiet.

He didn't know what to say.

No? Yes?

This dinner, her outfit, her words, and his feelings lately were clashing like oil and water.

So he said the most reasonable answer.

"Okay."

"Okay?" Gen was hopeful that he saw her effort and sincerity.

"Yeah, yes, okay," Seth smiled shyly.

Genevieve pulled him into a tight embrace in which he hugged her back. "There's so much I want to tell you, but that doesn't matter right now."

She pulled out of the hug. "Like I said, tonight is all about you."

Chuckling, Seth lifted his arms to show the paintwork he had done at his brother's place. "I could use a shower first."

"Well then," Gen seductively started pulling him toward the stairs, "let's get you cleaned up."

>>>>

It was a warm and peaceful summer night.

Sitting on the patio with their empty box of eaten pizza. Raelynn was enjoying the foot rub Sean was giving her.

"That was nice of you to do for them," said Sean, having been told of Seth's surprise from Genevieve.

Raelynn shrugged, "I barely did anything. Just gave her the idea and helped her shop for something to wear."

"I'm just happy to hear that she actually wanting to make things better."

"What do you mean, actually?" Raelynn frowned curiously.