Chapter Eight: Judgement

AURORA VAUGHN, BLESS her heart, had yet to learn that I fucking hated surprises

AURORA VAUGHN, BLESS her heart, had yet to learn that I fucking hated surprises. Not that I hadn't told her every time she pulled one on me. I knew she meant well, it was just the kind of person she was, but it didn't mean that I didn't want to throttle her pretty blonde head some days.

One of those days was Friday, the day of the competition to see who would win the second solo spot at states next month. Classes were finished for the day, and I had changed into a pair of leggings and a dance team hoodie. I wouldn't be doing much dancing, just watching, but I still decided to take the time to stretch on the floor while we waited for the team to assemble in the studio.

My body ached from being pushed to the max in fitness class, but it didn't bother me much. I planned to go home, take a warm bath and spend the night in bed watching whatever looked appealing on Netflix. That was how I would reward myself for having not dropped the class— yet.

Not two minutes into my splits stretches, a bubbly looking Aurora came bouncing into the room. You could hardly tell that just over an hour ago, she too had been subjected to the same cardio workouts and drills as I had.

"Scarlett!" Aurora called, practically squealing as she sashayed over and plopped herself down on the floor in front of me. "Guess what?!"

I looked over at her, the picture of mock surprise. "Kamilah and Madison got expelled and we never have to see their wretched selves again?"

We hadn't actually heard much from the tormenting duo since I'd started back to school that week, but a girl could still hope. I didn't, however, go as far as hoping that just because they'd been silent for a few days, they wouldn't make their presence known sooner or later.

My life was far too dramatic for that to be in the realm of possibility.

"As amazing as that would be," she snickered, her whimsical laughter filling the studio. "No."

Instead of waiting for me to make another left-fielded guess, she pulled her cellphone out of her pocket and held the screen up in between us for me to read.