Chapter Twenty-Two

For Love or Justice 

"We're going to be late, Donovan. " Chantelle said, a laugh escaping her mouth as he buried his face in her neck.

"Then we better be fast," he said, placing random kisses all around her neck.

Chantelle wrapped her legs around his waist, pulling him into her.

Donovan raised his eyebrows at her before he ran his hands up her dress. He watched how her eyes began heavy with lust. It made her even look sexier than she had ever looked.

Donovan hooked his fingers in her panties, still looking at her. Chantelle didn't waste time in bringing his head down to connect their lips together.

*********
Donovan rang the bell again. He knew he would hear his mother start saying she was coming and cursing on her way. A smile reached his face as he looked at Chantelle. She was radiant. She was always very beautiful and he knew he was very lucky to have her. They didn't exchange any words, but it was as if enough was said.

Chantelle leaned up to kiss his cheek while he caressed her full derrière, just as the door opened.

"Chantelle, darling. It's so good to see you again. " Avery said, pulling Chantelle into a big hug.

"It's good to see you too, Avery. You look very nice today. Donovan told me it was only a home dinner. Nothing special. " Chantelle said as she looked down at her maxi dress.

"Oh. You look, beautiful dear. "Avery said before she hugged her son and shut the door.

Chantelle looked at Donovan as Avery led them in. It was very obvious there was something wrong with Avery. She was too excited and nervous at the same time. Donovan noticed too because he mouthed an I don't know to her.

"What's up, ma?" Donovan said, picking up on apple and taking a bite. He wondered what would make his mom this way.

"I'll just go and use the bathroom. I'll—" Chantelle began when she saw Avery was about to open her mouth.

"Oh no please stay. You're part of my son's life now so you're part of mine. " Avery said, smiling sweetly at Chantelle.

"But first before I say anything. Sit. Both of you. I'll serve you. Let me get the dishes. " Avery said, turning her back to them.

They had dinner in some sort of comfortable silence except when Avery was telling them about her week at work. She also discussed her relationship with Mark, trying to get approval from her son but Donovan didn't give anything away.

"I think you guys would make a very nice couple. " Chantelle said, smiling at Avery who in turn smiled back.

"Yes. I think we do. I really like him. " Avery added, her voice rising an octave. "Now I have something very special to share. " Avery said.

"What? You're planning on getting married mom. " Donovan said, a smile on his face that didn't reach his eyes.

It was obvious that Donovan was uncomfortable with his mother and Mark's relationship.

"No, Donovan I'm not getting married. " Avery said pausing. "Yet." She added, looking into his eyes before she looked away.

"I'm not going to stay alone forever Donovan. " Avery said, it was obvious she was getting emotional.

"Mom, you're not alone—" Donovan started before Avery stopped him.

"Really? Are you with me every hour of the day?" Avery asked, sarcastically. It was obvious she was getting annoyed.