Chapter 2: The Experiment

Pic of Jayden ----------------------------------------------------------------->

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

The Experiment

"Well, we don't know much." Ian said. "None of us know how we got here, where we are, why we're here or what the hell those things outside are."

"So let me get this straight. You know absolutely nothing." Chloe said incredulously.

"Pretty much." Hunter replied, a smirk creeping over his features.

"That's just great." I muttered.

"I heard that." Hunter said, amusement making his voice light.

*~*~* Hunter's P.O.V. *~*~*

"I heard that." I said, looking at Jayden. She was beautiful. She was tall, at least 5'10 with curves in all the right places. Her shorts and v neck t shirt showed off her perfectly tanned skin, long legs and cleavage. She had long soft looking brown hair and gorgeous green eyes, like fresh spring grass.

Chloe was also good looking, but she couldn't hold a candle to Jayden's beauty. Chloe was shorter than Jayden, maybe 5'7 with a skinny frame. Her mini skirt and long sleeve shirt showed off her slim body and lightly tanned skin. She had long dirty blond hair and emerald green eyes.

"Ok, so none of you know how you ended up here?" Jayden asked. Everybody shook their heads. "Well, what's the last thing you guys do remember?"

"I remember being on a plane, then everything goes fuzzy." Lily said.

"Same here." Brock said.

"Here too." Col agreed.

"Ian, Hunter?" Jayden asked. We both nodded in agreement. "Can anybody remember doing anything on the plane?"

Everybody thought for a second, before Ian spoke up.

"I remember eating, then falling asleep." Ian said, looking deep in thought. Jayden looked around at the rest of us, prompting us to nod our heads. Where the hell is she going with this?

Then I caught on. "Wait; are you suggesting that our food was drugged or something?" I asked.

"What other way did we end up here, with no memory of how we got here?" She asked calmly.

"Well, I'll be darned." Col said, running a hand through his brown hair.

"Now that we know how we got here, let's focus on what the hell's outside. K?" Jayden asked, getting nods of agreement from the group.

"Wait, how old are you guys?" Chloe asked suddenly.

"Col, Hunter and I are 19, while Lily and Brock are 18." Ian answered for all of us.

"I'm 18 and Jay's 19." Chloe said, flicking her hair off her shoulders.

"Anyways..." Jay said, dragging out the word, "Do you guys know anything about what's outside?"

"No, not really. We don't even really know what they look like." I said, despair creeping into my voice.

"Ok, well I'm going out to see what I can figure out about them." She said boldly. "Anyone want to come with?"

Ian, Brock, Col and I raised our hands. "I don't want to bring to many of you, so Brock I want you to stay behind." Jay ordered.

"Why do I have to stay behind?" He whined.

"Because you're the youngest and if we don't come back the girls are going to need you." She said, her tone leaving no room for argument.

We each got our own gear, each of us checking the other before we left. Ian had his revolver, while Jay and I opted for bats, one wooden and one metal. Col chose a rifle and we each grabbed a flashlight, heading out of the cave.

After all of us were over the fence, Jay motioned for us to stop moving. She closed her eyes for a couple seconds before reopening them and moving forward.

"This way, I hear then over here." She whispered, motioning for us to be as quiet as possible. We picked our way through the brush quietly for 2 minutes, before she motioned for us to stop and look around. We were surrounded by them, they were scattered throughout the trees as far as I could see. She pointed up before grabbing a low branch and swinging up.

When all of us were situated in the tree, she pointed something out to us.

"Notice how almost all of them are tripping or running into things." She said, pointing to several things doing just that.

"So what?" Col asked impatiently.

"Well, if they could see they wouldn't be doing that." She whispered back so quietly I almost didn't hear her.

*~*~* Jayden's P.O.V. *~*~*

"Well, if they could see they wouldn't be doing that." I whispered as quietly as possible, while still having them hear me, adrenaline rushing through my veins.

"So?" Ian asked this time.

"I think they're blind." I said.

"Wait, blind?" Hunter asked incredulously.

"Yep, watch." I said standing up on my branch. I broke off a loose branch and threw it as hard as I could at a tree about 50-60 yards away.

It hit with a loud cracking sound and almost instantly They all surrounded the tree.

"That doesn't prove anything. What if they can smell us?" Col asked rationally.

"Well, then they would be surrounding us, but if you don't believe me, I'd be glad to give you a demonstration." I said, and with that I jumped from the branch and walked closer to the mass. I stood there for god knows how long, adrenaline and fear keeping me still.

When nothing suddenly attacked me, I slowly motioned for them to follow me back to the shelter. When Hunter's turn came to hop the wall, he cleared it with a loud booming 'THWACK' as the bats hit each other.

"Damn it!" I whisper yelled at him, as I heard moans get closer. I stood on the wall and broke off a large branch, with a resounding 'CRACK'. "Hunter, help me."

He immediately stood up on the wall and walked over to me. He grabbed the other end of the branch as we threw it as far as we could. It landed with a satisfying 'THUMP' at least 100 yards away.

"Get inside quickly!" I whispered, motioning for him to jump down. Ian and Col had already gone inside the cavern, and I was eager to follow. When we got inside, I was attacked by Chloe.

"God, I'm so glad that you're alright." She said, choking the life out of me.

"Can't... breath... Chloe." I mumbled and she instantly let go.

"Don't ever to that again." She said sternly.

"Do what?" I asked innocently.

"You know exactly what. Don't play dumb here."

"But we found some valuable info." I argued.

"I don't care, let one of these bozos do it."

"Hey!" Brock said in indignation.

"Fine, next time something dangerous comes up I'll let the guys handle it." I shot back sarcastically. "Oh, wait, we're surrounded by danger."

"Hey, we can't afford for you guys to fight. We need everybody working together." Ian said reasonably, stepping between us.

"Fine." We said in unison, neither of us sounding happy.

"So what's the plan?" Hunter asked, and everybody immediately looked at me.

Looks like I was just voted leader. OH SHIT!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thx for reading!!

pls vote & comment!

= )