xxiv | 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘥

ray didn't answer, instead he looked at the group before them, then to (y/n) back and forth. the expression on his face could be described by three words, horror, surprise, and happiness. if that makes sense.

"boo!" (y/n) expressed not-so-scarily as she's still taken aback by ray's actions.

"y-you've been pranked!" she continues, stretching her arms in front of her, mimicking a zombie. it's almost as if (y/n) wasn't taking the situation seriously.

ray didn't react, nor did everyone. like an angel walked past them, everyone stood silent. (y/n) was unsure whether she should make a corny joke or not.

she decides not to anyway, considering ray is very much not okay right now, as he slowly backs away from everyone.

"early b-birthday gift, yay," emma, with an obviously forced happy face and tone, saved (y/n) the hard work of the person who makes the worst saves for awkward moments.

right after emma's words was heard, everyone heard stumbling and then books falling from the table.

as the (h/c) haired girl turns to the sight of the ravenette, she immediately rushed to her side, so did the others.

"ray!"

he fell unconscious.

× × ×

the children flooded the infirmary, but didn't go inside as they're giving ray some time to get a rest. some kids are giggling, for they thought ray was so surprised he fainted, while some showed worry because they thought their older brother got ill.

"i didn't expect him to react like that," emma muttered to herself, somehow finding ray's reaction funny.

at first, mama didn't believe the group when they said the only reason for ray's fainting is (y/n)'s presence. she did so afterwards, as there was no other reason to think about.

she steps out of the infirmary, and some kids took a peek inside as she closes the door, "alright, it doesn't look like ray is sick. let's all leave now because he might wake up to your voices, no one wants a grandpa ray to wake up," mama warns playfully with a small smile before she walks away with carol sleeping on her arms.

the kids leaves the corridor one by one, with emma, don, and gilda bidding (y/n) goodluck as she asks for some time alone with the ravenette.

(y/n) gathered her confidence, fixed her dress, then started redoing her bun into a (h/s).

"alright," she whispered to herself as she slowly opens the door where the boy rests.

from her view, she could only see the window and the kids playing outside. she silently closed the door behind her then slowly made her way to the beds.

"hey," a small voice called.

it was ray.

(y/n) showed the face of someone guilty, then scratched the back of his nape. "i'm sorry for earlier."

"no, i'm sorry," ray replied, looking away from the girl.

the two was silent for a few moments as ray watches the kids outside play. (y/n) on the other hand, pulled a chair for her to sit on.

she didn't break the silence, as she saw ray deeply invested in his thoughts.

"yay!" screams lannion in the distance as the little instrument he made successfully shoots a bottle full of water upwards.

"i heard about your birthday," (y/n) stated as she plays with the hem of her sleeve.

ray slowly turned to look at her, his face blank from any kind of expression, "what about that?" he asked nonchalantly.