Chapter One

"I'm not going if you're not." I say, skimming a rock across the dam. It glides onto the opposite bank, slapping the tank, the shallow echo erupting over the water.

"Then I guess we're not going then." Ned responds.

"Bloody hell Ned," I curse. "We have to be a part of this, all the other blokes are going, they're going to be heroes, I don't want to be the farmers son for the rest of my life."

"There are other ways to become something else Clancy." Ned says, drawing his gun and aiming it at a rabbit. He shoots and the creature collapses in its path. He bolts towards his prey, scooping it up by its ears and examining its body.

"We're going to be stuck in Kununurra for the rest of our boring lives." My itchy feet were always going to get the better of me. Ned focuses his attention on me, he stares at me for a few seconds before scoffing in realisation.

"You just want to show off in front of Elsie." He grins.

"No! Ned! This is for Australia! We are Australia's sons and we have to do everything in our power to keep this country safe." I stood tall, puffing out my chest with pride.

Ned laughs; "You're so full of it Clancy."

"I don't care, I'll go without you." I announce.

Ned's face falls, "no, fine, but if this lasts longer than Christmas I'll be pissed, I'm getting married in January, we better be Bloody home." He slings the rabbit over his shoulder as we begin our trudge back to the house.
-
"Have you even been asleep?" Ned groans, as I draw open the curtains of our bedroom. The dusty plains of our home are scattered with magpies warbling their morning call.

"No, c'mon get your shit together we're going into town." I pull down his sheets.

"Not today, Kate is coming for tea." Ned closes his eyes.

"Well, enlisting will give us something to do for the rest of the day." I cock an eyebrow at him.

He groans again, before rolling out of bed and stumbling to the kitchen.

"Brock's tied to the veranda." I yell. I hear heavy footsteps pound down the hall and a hard hand grip my collar.

"Shut up! Before I knock ya lights out, Mum's not finding out until we actually sign our names so keep your trap shut!" Ned snarls. I nod quickly.

Mum walks from her bedroom, a smile is lodged on her lips as she spies me.
"Good morning beautiful Clancy." She ruffles my hair and pulls my head to her shoulder.

"G'day Mum." I grin, as we wonder into the kitchen.

"Morning Mum." Ned and our little sister Alice chorus.

I cherish our mother.
Her happiness.
Her thoughtfulness.
Her love.
She is constantly reminding us how often she thanks God for her four children. She has been blessed with blonde hair and blue eyes, and those genes have carried to our little sister.
Our father refers to her as his angel, and we truely believe she is.

"Where's Arthur?" She asks.

"He was down with the chooks last time I saw him." I respond, shovelling some porridge into my mouth.

"Not any more." A happy voice echos through the kitchen, Arthur places the 12 eggs into the basket on the bench.

Our tall, strong father, with his dark hair and broad shoulders. His mysterious face and demanding presence, silenced the room. He doesn't say 'good morning', he just smiles at us all, love streaming from his eyes.

"So, what have you boys got planned for today?" Dad questions, pouring some cream onto his jam and bread.

"Well-"

"You better not be enlisting." Mum says.

"Nancy please, they're twenty years old." Dad explains.

"A better reason not to go and get shot, the three Robinson's brothers left last week, look at their poor mother now and nothings happened to any of them." Mum's face screws up, I can tell she's set on us not going to war, but I can also tell she knows she can't stop us.

"Mrs Robinson is a mess." Arthur states.

"She didn't come to class any day last week." Alice says, her little 7 year old voice making me smile.

"We're going into town." I pipe up, returning to Dad's question.
Mum's eyes dart to me and she swallows hard. She pushes out of her chair and leaves the room.

"Well, mind you bring a paper back, should say what boys are going with you." Dad stares at his plate and I stare at Ned.

What have I done?
-
"It's ridiculous." Ned mutters as we ride our stock horses down the dusty road. The 6 kilometres to town were long but often enjoyable. The two of us have made the trek many a time, to school, to the chilling winter games of footy, to heated summer games of cricket or just to get lost in adventures with our mates.

Those days of adventure are gone now.
Now are days are spent with competitive spirits that take us too far and Ned and I usually end up with a black eye but the other bloke is usually a lot worse. The nights are spent at the pub, reciting bush ballads and drinking pints of stale beer.
The good life, some might call it.

I would rather be lost down the creek that runs through our property, with the beautiful being of Elsie O'Dwyer. We've been the best of friends since before either were even born.
We came out the womb friends.
She is my Elsie.
And I'm her Clancy.
Elsie and me.
Me and Elsie.
That's how it's always been and that how it'll always be.

"What's ridiculous?" I ask, snapping from my day dream.

"This war, what's the point? The king can fend for himself, England can fend for themselves." Ned sighs heavily.

"You gotta admit, that look mum gave us broke my heart." I hand my head.

Ned looks at me, shaking his head.

"We're going to be heroes. I'll make sure of it!" I exclaim.

I bring a smile to his face but even more uncertainty to his eyes.