Life's A Beach

Jared's eyes fluttered open.

      Jared blinked as he realized what woke him. Connor was spooning him, which was usual, but this morning Jared felt soft lips on the back of his neck. He shivered and felt Connor smile against his sleep-warmed skin.

      “Goodmorning, beautiful.” Connor whispered. “Did I wake you?”

       “You did and I'm sure you meant to.” Jared snorted.

        “Go back to sleep, then.” Connor began to rub circles steadily on Jared's back and he almost considered it. Jared turned to face Connor.

        “Let's do something today.” Jared grinned. Connor kissed Jared's nose before suggesting the beach.

      “No way!” Jared shouted “It's sandy and wet and hot!” Connor only laughed.

        “Please, for me?” He pleaded. And of course Jared gave in, how could he resist those eyes? He quickly kissed Jared's pouty lips before rolling out of bed.

        Jared hopped in the shower while Connor made them both breakfast. The toast was burnt, but the eggs were perfection, so Jared didn't complain. After breakfast Connor showered while Jared gathered the things they would need. They packed up and Connor kissed Jared lightly before hopping into the car.

       Within five minutes they were pulling into the parking lot. Jared forgot all his misgivings and left the car, threw his shirt back into it, and bounded toward the waves.

       “Last one there is a rotten egg!” Jared called. Connor rolled his eyes, but followed.

       Connor's long legs allowed him to catch up with Jared. In an attempt to distract Jared, he took off his shirt. Unfortunately in the process he lost balance and fell to the sand; Jared could be heard cackling ahead of him.

       Connor threw the shirt to the ground and raced to catch up with Jared, who was practically at the water. His swift strides got him to Jared in no time. Just as Jared turned around to laugh and claim himself the winner, Connor crashed into him sending them both underwater.

       The beach was shallow, but the waves pulled them under repeatedly and their limbs tangled together. By the time Connor had emerged and dragged Jared out, Jared laid limp.

      “Dude, wake up!” Connor shouted frantically. A smirk fluttered across Jared's face.

       “I'm dying.” He coughed, “You have to give me CPR.”

       Connor hugged Jared, “I'll give you something alright, you asshole, I thought you were really hurt.”

        Jared's chest rose with laughter but he repeated himself.

        “Connor, save me. I'll die if you don't give me CPR…..” he trailed off pretend coughing. Connor rolled his eyes. Jared peeked one eye open and, upon seeing Connor sitting with his arms crossed, began to play dead.

        “Oh, woe is me. I've died!” Jared writhed on the ground. “So young!”

       “Dead people don't talk,” Connor sighed, leaning down to Jared's ear, “So my CPR might still work.” He whispered. Jared stilled his body and nodded enthusiastically.

      Connor grinned and straddled Jared. He leaned down and kissed him deeply. Jared's eyes closed again and he moaned into the kiss. Connor broke away.

        “You scared me so bad, Jare. Don't do that.” Jared whined at the absence of Connor's lips and reached a hand into his soaked and sandy hair to push him back down. Connor obliged and kissed him again and again, mumbling sweet things against his lips.

       With that, the two began applying each other’s sunscreen.

         They swam for an hour before they waded back to the shore. Once there Connor suggested a sandcastle and they got to work. Jared went around collecting seashells and sticks while Connor built the base. When they were finished Connor leaned in to hug Jared, but Jared squeaked and pulled away.

         “Owie!”

         “What? It was just a hug.” Jared touched his back and winced.

        “You may have missed a spot with the sunscreen.” Connor’s face fell.

        “Sorry, babe. Let me go grab something from the Jeep.” Connor left to go to the car and when he came back he had a bottle of aloe lotion.

         Connor sat in the other chair and patted his lap, Jared obliged. Jared laid down, arms wrapped around Connor's waist, head in his lap. Connor began to gently apply the aloe and Jared sighed in relief.

        “Sing to me,” he said simply. Connor shook his head, but began humming. Jared began to hum along softly until the afternoon sun and Connor's  hands made him feel heavy and he fell asleep.

         Connor smiled at Jared's steady breathing. He leaned in to kiss his sandy hair. The two stayed like that, content and happy.