Chapter Five

“Hey, you good man?” Jacob looked to be in his own world when Lilly stood in front of him. His eyes were staring straight ahead in a distant way, glazed over so his brown eyes look hazy. A smile on his face, like he was looking at a dragon or something cool like that. Lilly snapped her fingers just as the car started and Dante went to drive out of the gas station. Jacob blinked, and calmly looked to Lilly’s silver eyes. They stood there for a moment. Just,staring.

    “Your eyes are pretty, like liquid mercury with sparkles.” Jacob blinked, then rubbed the side of his head with a small cry. Lilly was somewhere in between bewildered, happy and confused.

   “Thank you?”  She questioned. Her mind not having the proper input for this situation, she did the second best thing. She let out a long, drawn out ‘so’ and nodding her head in the direction of the people who were now split between staring at Dante’s car and herself and Jacob.

   “Right! Sorry, friends are things.” Jacob laughed a little before rubbing the side of his head again, Lilly calcked it up to a nevus habit.
   “Com’on.” Jacob reached to grab Lilly’s hand, but second guessed himself, shooting a glare to the people across the street. Lilly watched as one girl opened her mouth, something she said caused the others to laugh, Jacob gained a deeper scoul.

   ‘Maybe he’s like me’ Lilly smiled at the thought but pushed it way. Jacob’s eyes started to glaze over again, so she pulled his hand into hers.

    “Friends right?” She asked softly, not wanting to shock the boy.  Jacob looked over to Lilly, before nodding slightly.

    “RIght.” His tone was quick and easy. As they walked hand-in-hand, Lilly felt a sharp push at her skull. She groaned softly and rubbed the side of her head, right behind her ear.
    “You good?”

      “Yeah.” Lilly watched as Jacob once again, shot a look in the groups direction.
     “Yeah I’m good.” Her lip quirked up a bit and her eyes traveled the group, landing on a girl with long brown braids and white streaks. ‘Seems I caught the gingerbread-man.’

     “That’s good.” Jacob hummed.  Lilly nodded slightly, her hand was loosely gripping onto Jacob’s as they walked in relative silence across the parking lot. Lilly turned her attention away from Jacob -trusting he would guide her across the road with ease- and on the small group.

     There were six of them.  Three girls, Three boys. Easy enough to remember. Two of the girls were completely opposite to one another, minus their actual faces. The one had elegant posture, long brown hair tied in pigtails while streaked in white. Here sunkissed face seemed to be in a permanent scowl. She was dressed in a frilly pink sundress and her sandal straps ran up her caves in elegant ribbons.

      Her counterpart was sitting next to her, leaning lazaly on the table outside the ice cream shop. Her lips moving a mile a minute as the boy next to her seemed to be in a daze and watching a punky looking girl as she continued to fret over her skates.

    The talking girl had a bright smile, her brown hair cut in an even pixie, her hair holding bright fire truck red stripes. Her dark short sleeved shirt, long jeans, and deep red boots almost brought Lilly to her knees just thinking about the amount of heat the girl must be enduring.

     The boy she was talking to had spiky bright pink hair, a pair of sunglasses sitting atop his head. His orange flannel was rolled up to his elbows and opened in the front to reveal a white tank top. His cargo shorts were a weird blue and black camouflage and to Lilly’s annoyance didn't look right with the flannel.

     The punky girl had dark black hair that was streaked in a mess of lime green and pink. It was pulled back in small pigtails, and bangs clipped back with a white bow. Her hands had a meshy material wrapped around them. Opposed to the other girls, she hand on short shorts, a metal chain hanging from them. Her shirt was a white and blue striped crop top, and her feet covered in socks.