Prologue

The Dream

Lance heard a loud crashing noise.

He bolted upright, slipping his blue headphones from his ears. He looked around, scanning the room. He heard sudden scurrying footsteps and furrowed his eyebrows. "Luis! This isn't funny. I know it's you, you little-"

Another crashing sound filled the room, leaving Lance's eardrums throbbing. He suddenly felt a harsh pain in his stomach, like every butterfly in the world had rushed in. "Luis," Lance choked out, his voice sounding much further away from him, like it had run to the other side of the room. "Cut it out."

He waited a few minutes, looking toward the bedroom door. Only there wasn't one.
He shoved the comforter off of his lower half, quietly stepping onto the floor. It didn't feel normal.
He looked down and saw his foot sinking under thick, black liquid. He pulled it free, but some of the substance attached to his ankle and crept up his leg.

Horrified, he realized the entire floor was made of it, and it was slowly engulfing every object he could see.

Now he could hear ringing, like the sound of white noise from a fuzzy television screen, and he slowly turned to look at the source. The corner of the ceiling.
Glowing eyes stared back at him, and he choked on a scream that rushed up his throat. He couldn't control his breathing.

With wide eyes, he sat frozen in terror, the black liquid numbing his limbs as the creature shot from the ceiling and straight onto Lance's face.

Lance woke as soon as everything turned black.

He gasped so harshly that his throat felt hoarse, and he patted himself down as if checking for the numbing liquid.

Nothing was there.

He sighed in relief, burying his head in his hands and rubbing his temples. He'd never dreamed so vividly in his life, and it had utterly horrified him.

He glanced at his buzzing phone, knowing his friends were already up texting at seven in the morning on a Saturday. He picked it up, not bothering to scroll up and read the entire chat. He had a horrible feeling eating away at his gut. He needed to warn them.
He typed quickly.

need to talk to all of you, sleepover at my place. 7pm

After hitting send, he clicked a button and his screen went black as the chat kept on buzzing. Like normal.

He felt like soon, things wouldn't be so normal. Not after that dream.

Maybe he was overreacting.

But he was Lance, and he always knew when he was overreacting. This wasn't the time.

He didn't even want to step onto the floor.