Babysitting

Thorin reclines on the couch in his rooms, his Queen Consort, Y/N, tucked under his arm reading over the newest proposal from the Royal Court, when there is frantic knocking on the apartments door.

"Thorin? Thorin, Balin said that you were in there, I need a favor, my friend"

Thorin groans, if Bilbo was coming to him for a favor then it wasn't anything good. Thorin flung open the door and froze. Standing on the other side of the door was Bilbo, and in his arms, was a tiny curly haired little hobbit.

"Bilbo ... who is this little one?" Thorin asks, still eyeing the small child.

"This is Frodo, my nephew, you met him briefly when I firsts arrived back from the Shire a few days ago. Ori and Balin have asked for my help in the library, apparently there is an old scroll that needs to be found for Balin to present to the court. I hate to bother you after you have had such a busy day, however everyone else in the company is occupied and I don't trust anyone else to watch Frodo."

"Bilbo, I cannot ..."

Y/N quickly steps around her husband, giving a soft smile to the tiny hobbit. "Of course we can, Thorin. We have both had plenty of experience taking care of little ones" The Queen Consort crouches down until she is eye level with Frodo, now addressing him, "Hello, little one. My name is Y/N, and that brute over there is my husband Thorin. It seems like your uncle has quite a bit to do tonight, would you mind keeping us company?"

Frodo's fingers tighten in Bilbo's shirt, "I – I don't wanna be a bother, Miss"

"You won't be, darling. I would actually love it if you could join us for dinner, it can get quite lonely when it's only Thorin and I. Everyone else is very busy right now, and we have too much food in here for just the two of us"

The little hobbit nods and hesitantly reaches out for you. "If you're sure, and Mister Thorin doesn't mind ..."

You give Thorin a pointed look, and the King sighs before nodding, "Of course it is no bother"

Bilbo lets out a relieved sigh, "Thank you so much, my friends. I should be back before it is time to put Frodo to bed"

You wave off the older hobbits worries, "It's no trouble, Bilbo. I'm sure that Frodo will be a perfectly manored little hobbit, much better than the princes were when they were young."

"I'm sure," Bilbo reaches out, gently reaching out to ruffle Frodo's hair, "Behave for Y/N and Thorin, my boy, I will be back later to get you"

Thorin gently shuts the door when Bilbo turns away, his blue eyes locking with his wife's, "I suppose we should eat then, it would be a crime to let dinner go to waste"

Y/N laughs and walks to the kitchens to get the food plated, "You are ridiculous, My King"

"And you look much too good with a little one on your hip, My Queen"

Once everyone was done eating and Frodo was settled on the carpet in front of the fire, quietly playing with some toys he had brought with him, Y/N decides to go bathe.

"Darling, I'm going to go take a bath, watch the little one please"

Thorin's eyes widen in horror, "You cannot leave me alone with him! I do not know how to care for a hobbit!"

"It's just like caring for Fili and Kili when they were young, if he cries hold him, play with him, if he's thirsty give him a cup of water. Don't worry I won't be long"

"What if he is hurt? Hobbits are not as tough as dwarflings!"

"Everything will be fine, just don't let him jump off of anything"

Y/N quickly gathers up her nightclothes, and makes her way into the bathing chamber. The bath is quick because even though you trust your husband with the little one, it still makes you nervous to have him out of your sight. She wraps up her bath, quickly throws on her nightclothes and walks back into the sitting room. What she see's makes Y/N freeze in her tracks.

"Thorin Oakenshield, please tell me that is not real"

Frodo, the sweet little baby hobbit, was sitting on the floor with a small dagger in his hand. The little one had a weapon in his hand while your wonderful husband was quietly watching from his armchair.

Thorin gives you an incredulous look, "Of course it is fake! I would never let one so young play with a real weapon! It is merely polished wood that is dyed silver. It is an old toy that Fili used to play with"

Instantly you feel yourself go limp in relief. "You know that's not it, Darling, I just know that dwarves are much hardier that any other race"

Frodo looks up at you and grins, "Y/N!"

"Hello, little one," Leaning down the Queen Consort gives the child a kiss on his forehead, "It is getting late, perhaps we should start a story"

Frodo yawns, and holds his arms up to you, "Can you tell me about when you met Mister Thorin?" Y/N walks over to Thorin, sitting in his lap with Frodo in her own, Thorin's arms wrapping around her waist to steady her.

"Mahal, now that is a story that has an interesting beginning ..." There's a soft knock from the apartments, "However, it looks like that story will have to wait, my dear, because I believe that your uncle is back"

"No!"

The King stands, gently depositing his wife in the armchair in his place, "I'll get the door, love"

"You know what this means, Frodo?" The little boy shakes his head and turns teary blue eyes onto the woman, "This means that you will have to come back and visit us again so I can tell you the story"

"Promise I can come back?"

This time it's Thorin who answers, "You are welcome back whenever you like, little one. I can make it a king's order if that would make you feel better"

Bilbo chuckles, "I don't think that will be necessary, my friends. Now that Frodo and I are rested from our long journey everyone will be seeing more of us, and you can always come steal him if you so desire."

Thorin chuckles, "Do not promise something like that, old friend. You may never see your nephew again if you give my wife free range to monopolize his time"

"I wouldn't say that, husband. I do have duties that must be attended to"

The older hobbit just chuckles, "Thank you for watching him. I will see you all tomorrow."

Later, after everything was cleaned and the two monarchs were getting ready for bed, Thorin wraps strong arms around his wife's waist.

"It seems almost too quiet now that Frodo is gone"

Thorin huffs softly and presses a kiss to Y/N's bare shoulder, "He was only here for a few hours and already it feels like the room is empty without a child's laughter"

Y/N smirks, "Does this mean you are finally open to having children?"

The King growls, and lifts his wife into his arms, "Indeed I am. I hope you are prepared, my Queen, for I intend to have you with child by the months end"