Chapter Two

"WHAT IS WITH you today?" Clair asked as she pulled the car into St. Edwards Point car park. "You've been like a grumpy teddy bear with a thorn stunk in its side since you arrived at the shop yesterday."

Well, you would be too if your mind was clouded with bulging biceps and washboard abs. Charlotte couldn't very well tell her sister that. Frustration simmered, and she felt her chest tighten as the lie rolled off her tongue. "Sorry, my mind's been preoccupied with this cyanide fiasco, that's all."

You're so full of crap, it's a wonder she doesn't call your bluff.

Every time she remembered her visit to Beth's she made another baking mistake. Thoughts of Liam standing there in only his pyjama bottoms scrambled her brain cells. So, he was cute, big deal. He'd flown in for the wedding, it's not like he'd be staying around for long. In the end, Charlotte had remade a total of thirty-five cupcakes. She was lucky Clair had brought extra ingredients.

Clair huffed and threw Charlotte an annoyed glare as she started unpacking Mrs Stevenson's cupcake order from the back of the car. "It would be nice if you would get your head in the game and focus on the job. We need to get these over to the cake table before the guests arrive."

Focus ... Focus. "Yeah, of course." Pride flooded her heart. She taken extra special care to create something spectacular to celebrate Mrs Stevenson's eightieth birthday. "Okay, I can't pick another box up so I'll pop back for the last few once I've delivered these," she said to Clair as she bumped the car door closed with her backside.

"No problem, I'll meet you over there," Clair said and moved off.

Charlotte turned to follow Clair's lead and froze. She blinked several times, positive her eyes were playing tricks on her. It can't be... no, no, no, it can't be. It is. Her cheeks flushed, sending a fiery blush roaring up her face until it felt like she'd stuck her head in a blazing oven.

Mr Washboard Abs himself was walking toward her, his eyes boring right through her. What kind of pun was he going to throw her way today? This is ridiculous. The last think I need is to be distracted by a man, especially one who is just passing through town, when my whole livelihood is at stake. She'd had her fair share of failed romances and she wasn't looking to add another to the growing list.

He smiled and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Charlotte, what a nice surprise."

She blinked a few times and her brow creased, puzzled by his appearance. "What on earth are you doing here?" she asked as she manoeuvred past him toward the cake table. "I thought you would have better things to do than attend an eightieth birthday high tea for a lady you've never met." Her words were laced with sarcasm.

He hastily followed on her heels, staying an unnerving foot from her at all times. "You have a point, but the more I thought about my behaviour yesterday, the more annoyed I got with myself. I couldn't leave it a moment longer without apologising to you one more time. I asked around and they told me this is where I'd find you. So"-he shrugged his shoulders-"here I am."

Unease skittered up her spine. He'd sought her out?

Approaching the cake table, Clair's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend, Charlotte?" Clair said with a smirk as she started unpacking the cakes from Charlotte's boxes.

Charlotte glared at Clair. Since when had he become her friend? "Um," she said as she pitched in and helped set up the display. "This is Liam Bradly. Remember, he was the best man at the wedding? He's going to be house sitting for them while there on their honeymoon."

"Nice to meet you, Liam Bradly. Do you mind holding these empty boxes a moment?" she said thrusting box after box in his direction.

"Sure."