5

I was enjoying my day. The sun was shining, my homework load wasn't too bad, and I was enjoying the calmness of English class. Then, the universe just had to throw another curveball.

Ethan walked into my English class before the bell rang. I couldn't have ignored him if I tried. It was like the atmosphere in the room completely changed the second he walked in. Conversations suddenly stopped, only to start up again. Except this time everyone was whispering. People were frantically clearing off desks, trying to make an empty seat.

The teacher, Ms. Maron, noticed the change too. She looked up at Ethan, signaling him to walk over. They talked, people were pretending to throw away trash just so they could get closer to the conversation.

Ms. Maron stood up, and the entire classroom went quiet with her. I looked around, there were no empty spots near me. Letting out a big breath, I turned my attention back to the teacher.

She was making a kid move back a seat, creating a vacant spot in the front row. Other students slumped in their seats. I was ecstatic, maybe he would be forced to do something for once.

Class continued on as usual. I found myself glancing in Ethan's direction frequently, though I know I'm not the only one. I want to see him struggle. Anything that can prove to me that he has no idea what he's doing. But, I couldn't see anything. He didn't take any of the notes. He didn't answer any of the questions given to us at the end of the lesson. But he seemed calm throughout the entire thing.

I wouldn't let myself lose hope. Ms. Maron can kick ass if she wants too. Hopefully, she won't deal with his lack of work.

-----

Fortunately, I got what I hoped for. Unfortunately, I now have to help a lazy ass.

Ms. Maron moved Ethan to sit beside me the next class. Her reasoning was that "Sitting next to my best student will help you develop your skills."

Translation: "You aren't doing anything so I'm going to make this student fix that."

He hasn't even glanced at me all period. English is starting to feel more and more like History every day. Speaking of which, he still hasn't done anything for the project. I've tried to talk to him, but he either doesn't respond or he doesn't even hear me.

I've had enough of it. I'm so sick of him getting credit for things he doesn't deserve. All I want is for him to realize that he can't take credit from me, or from anyone. Or, at least a teacher can realize what he's been doing and actually do something about it.

I'm finally going to complain to my History teacher after school. I doubt she'll do anything about it. But, I can still say that I will not be partners with him and instead do the project by myself.

Maybe I've just gone insane. There is no way this can go well for me. The best case-scenario is Ethan getting what he deserves. But then the whole school will hate me. Not to mention they'd put two-and-two together and figure out that I wrote the letter.

Speaking of which, I hadn't heard much about that in a while. Maybe, people have forgotten about it. I mean, it was just gossip.

------

I always have to be wrong, don't I.

During lunch, I was sitting with some friends. I know, I never sit with friends. I don't even have many friends. However, I was actually invited to sit with them. They were having a conversation about how "Elmer's Glue could easily poison the population of children."

Then, a group of kids walked by. I recognized most of them. They are all relatively popular, but that's not what caught my attention.

"They have to be a nerd. No one else would care about grades that much."

"Yeah, plus they also knew about his grades too."

"I know, that's just creepy. Like, how obsessed do you have to be?"

Everyone else sitting at the table heard the conversation as well.

"You know," a girl started, "whoever wrote it wasn't completely wrong."

I perked up, I had never heard someone agree with me. The girl was wearing a hoodie with the school's mascot on it. I don't know her name, but I plan on learning it soon.

"Yeah," Jackie, the one who invited me to sit here, said "he really doesn't do his work."

I couldn't help the smile that grew immediately on my face. I was already giving these people top spots on my mental list of friends.

"I've never had to work with him before, so I wouldn't know."

"Yeah, but he can't really be that bad."

I felt like it was my time to add to the conversation.

"I have a project with him," I said, catching everyone's attention, "he hasn't done any work." Then, my mind reminded me to be cautious. "I mean, not that I can tell."

They all nodded in agreement.

"That doesn't surprise me," Jackie added.

------

The conversation from lunch only added to my unknown strength from earlier. I was completely prepared to go up to my History teacher and give her my complaints. I feel freaking empowered. Maybe I've been drinking too much coffee, but I feel like nothing can stand in my way.

Except for the person standing in my way.

Ethan was blocking my path to the classroom. I could've sworn that this hallway was empty like five seconds ago. Yet, here he was...standing in front of me...slightly sweaty. Ew.

He must've just come from football practice. He was wearing gym clothes and seemed to be slightly out of breath.

"Where are you going?" he asked, then crossed his arms over his chest.

"Um," flashbacks from the library came hurling back at me. Maybe I can be empowered another day. I slowly began to take a step back.

He noticed my attempt at retreat and took a step forward.

"Are you trying to get out of being my partner?" he asked. My eyes widened at his question. There is no way he could've known that. I haven't told anyone about it.

He laughed at my reaction. "And I thought that you were a smart one." Suddenly, he was on my right side. I turned to face him, realizing too late that I just got rid of my only escape route.

"You are not leaving me to do this shit on my own," he commanded, taking another step forward. "Instead, you are going to stay." There was a split second of silence, "Understood?" All I did was nod my head. I understood. I completely understood.