Imagine 49

Read this while listening to the song "Long Night" by With Confidence. 

Third Person

"I've got to go, I'll catch up with you later," Josh says, kissing (Y/N) on the cheek. She blushes, holding her cheek while she watches him walk away. She sits down at the picnic table, her head up in the clouds. It starts to drizzle, so (Y/N) stands up to head inside.

"(Y/N)," Carl calls out, walking up to where she's standing.

"What do you want, Carl?" (Y/N) sighs, crossing her arms.

"I can't do this anymore. I can't watch you pretend to be happy with him. I just want-"

 "I am actually happy when I'm with him. Why can't you just be happy for me?"

"Because I can't stand the thought of you with someone else! I can't stand the thought of someone else's lips on yours. I can't stand the thought of someone else taking off your dress late at night. I can't stand the thought of someone else's hands roaming all over your body. I love you, (Y/N)! I- I've got to go." Carl rushes off, tears flooding his eyes. 

(Y/N) is left standing alone, hand over her heart. Tears roll down her cheek, but she quickly wipes them off with the sleeve of her oversized sweater. The light drizzle turns into cold, heavy raindrops, so (Y/N) sprints back to her house. As soon as the door to her bedroom is shut, she bursts into tears.

(Y/N) has always had feelings for Carl, but she was always afraid of what other people might think. While Carl was the leader's son, he wasn't clean cut like Josh. Josh was the type of guy you could bring home to your parents. Carl is the kind of guy you'd date to piss off your parents. 

Meanwhile, Carl sits in his room smoking, his eyes red from crying. He stares at his wall, his head wrapped around the thought of Josh and (Y/N) together. Just the thought alone made him want to kill himself. He pulls out a notebook, beginning to sketch a portrait of (Y/N). He'd been staring at her so much recently that he could almost perfectly recall the way she smiles. When he finishes the portrait, he smiles to himself, running his hand along the picture. He grabs the notebook and his lighter, heading outside to burn the picture. 

The next day, (Y/N) and Carl run into each other while walking down the street. Carl would stop to speak, but her hand is intertwined with Josh's. (Y/N) sees him watching and opens her mouth to speak, but quickly shuts it. Carl's struck with the realization he'll never be with (Y/N). He nods, looking down at the ground. As soon as (Y/N) is out of sight, he sprints home, slamming the door behind him as he comes in. He slides down the door slowly, sobbing. He takes his gun out of its holster, trying to examine it with tear-filled eyes. He places it against his temple, pulling the trigger. A couple hours later, there's a knock on the door.

"Carl?" (Y/N) calls from the other side. She stands there, hair fixed, flowers in her hand. 

- - -

Guys, I don't know about you, but I cried writing this. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music. It's so much better with music.