Land of Ice and Snow

Idea: gxg, ice skating, competition, a bit of romance, YOI style
Based on image above
Set in canada

I'm blinded by light as I run hastily out into the bright white snow, skates in hand, tears of ice streaming down my face.

"Hecate!"An asian girl with blood red hair stood in the doorway shouting my name and begging me to come back. But I just continued to run, into the woods.

I ran past the evergreen trees, now coated in white. Shards of diamond like ice fall in a deadly shower of daggers from the sky. I can see the mountains in the distance, their tips almost camouflaged against the clouded sky.

When I stopped running I found myself at the banks of a small river. It was frozen over and had a thin blanket of snow covering it. I placed my foot on the ice to test it. 'It's stable,' I thought to myself. Quickly I put on my skates and stepped out onto the river, I glided to the middle of the channel and started to dance, my emotions spilling out like an elegant tornado.

......................

After Hecate left I stayed at the door for a couple of minutes hoping she would return soon. But she didn't.

I put on my coat, picked up my blades and walked out the door, hoping our parents wouldn't notice for a while, I started the search. I had seen which way she left and knew exactly where she'd find herself. I trekked slowly through the trees because I knew I had to give her some time.

When I arrived at the river I saw her jumping down the river. So I waited for the right time to intervene.

......................

Silver blades hissed as they colide with the frozen water. Such a hiss usually goes unheard. I don't usually skate for this long. I'm not usually this angry, this frustrated.

I skate because I feel free, like I'm flying. I skate to escape from the rest of the world and the bustle of everyday life. That's why I love winter, when the first snow falls I take out my skates, preparing for what's to come.

This year was the same.

The same pure white ash like flakes falling from the cloudy skies, like millions of frozen feathers.
The same stinging cold slicing into my skin like blades through ice.
The same river with a thin layer of ice, just enough to hold my weight, shielding me from the rushing water below.
The same competitions that I have entered in and won for the past nine years.

The only difference is that this year would be the last.
The last time I get to compete.
The last time I get to feel free.
Because of one stupid decision.
But I'm going to make it last.

I heard the blades scrape against the ice as I performed a quadruple Salchow. The skirt of my competition outfit billowing in the wind, a scarf of fine silk protected me from the biting cold. The impact sent snow flying up around me like a cocoon shielding me from the outside, encasing me in my own everlasting winter wonderland. I long for no one to ever find me in this place. But I know they're out looking and they'll soon find me.

I heard snow crunching beneath snow boots and blade crashing into each other. Someone has arrived.

So I keep skating.

Triple Axel.
Quad toe loop.
Double Salchow.
Triple Lutz.

....................

I snapped out of my trance of watching the pale girl in the emerald dress dancing on the ice, and sat in the white, cotton like substance at my feet. Bluebell coloured skates lay, wrapped in snow, beside me. I slipped off my leather boots and replaced them with glowing blades. Hesitantly my foot touched the ribbon of ice covering the river. Her head twitched slightly in my direction at the faint sound, she had noticed me. There's no going back now.

....................

Finally I felt another pair of skates land on the ice. She skated over to me as I finished my step sequence. A pair of ice cold, smooth hands grabbed me from behind. We continued to glide across the frozen river, feeling the water rush beneath our feet. I never once looked back to see who it is, their presence is enough to tell me.

"It's a beautiful day to skate, don't you think?" I ask my companion softly.

She throw me in the air as I perform a final quadruple Salchow. Our fingertips touch as I land to face her. She pulls me towards her and I stare into her molten chocolate eyes.

"Not nearly as beautiful as it will be next year," she said, a slight smirk gracing her baneberry tinted lips. We smile at each other before resuming our trip down the river. Into our own winter wonderland.