Chapter Three

As Jordyn sat in the chair opposite her aunt she found one aspect of the school more confusing than any other. It wasn't the movie cliché of a social system, or the constant throwing of slushies. However, they were close to the top. What confused her was the glass walls surrounding the guidance councillor's office.

Presumably, it was for the safety of the students and Emma, but that didn't change the fact that sessions should be confidential. Even though she wasn't there for any reason but Emma's reassurance, Jordyn felt like sinking into the soft cushion of the chair. If McKinley was anything like John F Kennedy middle school, gossip would spread fast and each new ear would add an embellishment to the story. Jordyn was hoping that she never became a victim to that burning fire.

Before Jordyn could have time to think about what she was going to say, a boy knocked lightly on the door. Glancing at him, Jordyn guessed that he was her age, possible younger, but the former made more sense. He was carried a series of books that Jordyn assumed was her literature texts, considering she had it that period.

"Are you Jordyn?"

"Nope, I'm just in here for the fun of it." Jordyn joked, causing the boy to chuckle and Emma to glare at her. Jordyn had always joked when she felt awkward, but Emma never understood that fact. "Yes, I'm guessing you are from Lit."

Nodding, the boy passed her the books before adding, "We have been partnered up for the first project."

"Oh," Jordyn mumbled, not being aware that there would be group assignments. She barely knew anyone in her year, let alone the year above. All she hoped was that this boy was easy to work with. "What is the project?"

"We have to give a presentation on one of these books." He answered before passing her a sheet of paper from inside the book he was holding. "I had best get back, but my number is on there so that we can work out when we are going to work on it."

"Sure." Jordyn nodded watching as he turned away.

Surprisingly, she had been able to talk to him without any fear running through her body. Without Jordyn knowing, Emma had realised this already and let a smile fill her face. Although the elder wasn't sure who the boy was, she was hopeful that Jordyn would have no problems working with him. However, there was already a great contrast in Jordyn in that moment to how she was when Emma returned to her life. To begin with Jordyn hadn't even had the ability to joke.

"Shit!"

"Language!"

"Sorry, I just realised I have no clue who he is." Jordyn announced, grimacing at her inability to socialise properly. "Plus, I just got given a number from a guy I have only known for a minute, if that."

Shaking her head as she fought back a laugh, Emma passed her niece the pot of pens on her desk, "That may be the case, but if you are staying in school you need to do some work."

"Is it bad that I am happy to do work as long as I get to use the pens?"

Pulling out her matching set, Emma shook her head, "Nope, I have always been the same."

"We are just crazy together."

~*~

Finally, she had found the room she was unknowingly looking for. Longing for a release of the tension building up in her mind, her heart had pulled her feet to the one place she could be free. Despite the mirrors that lined the walls, this room would help Jordyn to forget the circumstances that had led to the dark marks on her skin.

Dancing had been her escape for as long as she could remember. The second she heard the music, she would lose herself in the intricacy of her steps. Weightlessness would fill her veins and she would finally feel free.

Instantly, Jordyn slipped off her shoes and pulled her cardigan away from her shoulder. Stretching her arms slightly, she ignored the red marks that travelled from her elbow to her shoulder. They didn't matter in that moment. In that moment, all that mattered was her extensions and the position of her hands.

(video above)

Remembering the routine, she had been working on, Jordyn pressed play on her mobile before walking back to the back of the room. Stretching her arms above her head, a smile automatically filled her face as she felt the tension between her shoulders shift.

There was no other way to describe the feeling she felt than an out of body experience. When she dance she felt like she was someone else. Who she was depended on the dance, but she was never Jordyn Pillsbury. That is what she loved the most.

After what felt like years, she was lead on her back on the floor looking at the ceiling as she gasped for breath. There was a slow clap from the door, causing her to shoot upright. Her love for dance may have been strong, but she didn't want anyone else to know about it.